Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

homepage has become bold with the strong tag everywhere I don't want it

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Only on the home page every single instance of any text underneath my module in the grid 2 position has become bold/strong.

On other pages the text seems fine. You can see it in the footer on www.mainefiberarts.org, then how it is supposed to look on any other page such as www.mainefiberarts.org/fiber-bulletin

You can also see it in the accordions of the "Current Fiber Bulletin" (scrolling down from top or up from footer) on each page. Bold and wrong on the home page and fine on other pages.

When I "inspect element" on the home page I can see many rows of strong tags but I don't know where they came from or how to get rid of them. Yikes!!

I have another issue I don't think is connected and will get to that eventually. One thing at a time.

Carol Jones
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Carol,

This normally means that in the module there are tags cut off

e.g. you have a character cut off point and it means the strong tag isn't closed

And the browser tries to help by adding tags
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes. I know that much. But it's a Zentools 2 filtering module and has no place where I would even put a strong tag. It has not always been like this, it has to be something I have done recently, such as the first content item and first article (most recent) I have written. I've looked at the html in the first content item and don't see an unclosed tag.

I'll keep looking, but as you know, the module is basically all just a matter of clicking boxes and not typing in code. I'm just not sure where to look for this unclosed tag in the module itself.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
OK. I fixed it. I can't tell you why, but I took out the bold from the first article. The errant one because MAYBE since the module is set to only show the first 100 characters, since the bold part of that article was cut off in the middle it might have had something to do with it. I changed it to italic and also cleaned up some html in another article. Took a while to show the results so I'm not sure what it was that did it. But it is done.

Thanks for your suggestion. You were right...somewhere...somehow.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
FYI, I took the bolds out, put in italics, that worked so I put the bolds back in and they worked too. This is a mystery. Gaaah.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Do you have the module set to sort orders randomly?

This can cause the problem to go away and come back

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
No the module is not set to sort random, it displays only certain categories, only a certain number of articles in each category, and only featured articles. It is pretty strict and all that was working, it was just showing all the text as bold from then on down the rest of the page which meant an open strong tag somewhere which I never found.

But I don't think that bolds everywhere problem had anything to do with the module per se. It was something in the first couple of articles that displayed within the module. I noticed some span tags that may have found there way into one article after my "assistant" editor (aka boss) went into the front end and made some edits, and I tried to clean up that page. Maybe that did it? There were some spurious non-breaking spaces in there that I tried to ditch. Who knows. But anyway it is working fine now.

But can you tell me why one of the articles has a link to it that looks like this: www.mainefiberarts.org/touring/188-fiber-news/245-books-are-ready (shows the item numbers of the category and article and other look like this: www.mainefiberarts.org/at-the-gallery/current-exhibition (not showing the category or item number????
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
If you add a link to a hidden menu for the individual article or category do you get a better url?
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Oh my. I have never done that for any of the other ones. I would hate to have to start. You know how stubborn I am. hahahahaha

If I have to do anything that drastic, I will just create a new article and see if and why it happens again. But I have to wait until the world is asleep. The world of the East Coast at least.

I'll let you know if anything changes. Since it works as is, I don't feel compelled to change it right away.

Thank you for your patience with me.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

I think the article has a menu link for its category rather linking to the article

So you could test that theory if needed by creating a new menu link to the articl

You're welcome :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
And of course Happy Christmas

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
YESS! You are right of course! That's it. I don't even want a menu item so it all makes sense. Whew. Thank you for clearing that up. Onward!

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
And to you! Hope you get some holiday time.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Fingers and toes crossed :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers