Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Confused about multi columns

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I would like to use a two-column format in my Maincontent section of the Build.r template. The content may include html, php, or graphics depending on the page.

There are several examples of this on the joomlabamboo website, such as zentools.joomlabamboo.com/setup/zentools-setup-2/222-creating-multi-column-layouts.

Despite the examples, it is not at all clear to me how I achieve this.

There are responses to similar questions in the forum (e.g. www.joomlabamboo.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=579&id=115785&Itemid=215#154083), however key references go to 404 pages. The example uses tags such as {zen-row}
{zen-3}{zen-ambulance}{/zen-ambulance}, but I cannot find the details of these tags.

I'm new to Joomla and Build.r, so perhaps I've missed something somewhere.
  • Scott Richmond
  • 12 Month basic
  • 50 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Very sorry for the 404 links on above

You are looking at different examples

1. With the zentools2 layouts you can add columns to how content is displayed

2. The second way you reference is using the shortcode plugin syntax

The shortcode syntax requires the installation of the shortcode plugin found in recent template download pages

When the shortcode plugin is installed it also needs to be enabled in plugin manager
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by manh.
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
With the plugin you add syntax to the article directly and then it renders as coded

Using zentools2 - you can load a module into a page using the Joomla core loadposition plugin

Which option do you want to use or even both?

If you can let me know I will elaborate on above :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I think I want the shortcode grid layouts approach.

Ideally, I would like four to eight "blocks" on the web page (a left, then a right, then a left below the first, etc.) , with each block of being of about equal size (and bordered) but expandable depending on content.

For example, a left block with tabular data, then a graph of the data on the right; then a block of text on the left beneath the data block, and graphic in a block on the right. If that makes any sense! Much easier to explain in a picture . . .

It seems like that is doable with the zen tools, but I'm fuzzy on the details of implementing it.
  • Scott Richmond
  • 12 Month basic
  • 50 posts
Hi

The problem you will have with either way is getting the columns to expand depending on the content

Both the plugin and zentools2 alter depending on the screen width so its not quite the same

Zentools2 in most instances pulls content from articles, k2 or easyblog and then displays it as per the settings configured
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
paulus103 wrote:

The problem you will have with either way is getting the columns to expand depending on the content

Well, you can't have everything you want!

It sounds like the most straight forward method is using the plugin and putting syntax directly in the article. I spent years doing tripled nested tables in html, but I'm assuming this is easier as well as responsive.
  • Scott Richmond
  • 12 Month basic
  • 50 posts
I have installed the shortcodes plugin and published it. However . . . When I go to edit the content that is supposed to be rendered in multi columns, I am not seeing the shortcode icons in editor.

Is there something more I'm supposed to do? Are my expectations incorrect?
  • Scott Richmond
  • 12 Month basic
  • 50 posts
Hi

You will need to add it manually

This plugin doesn't have the editor functionality (it may be added but much further down the line)

What columns widths are you wanting to use? the total is 12

so its fractions of the 12 e.g. 6 and 6 or 4 and 4 and 4 or 3 and 9 etc
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Two columns, 60/40 split.
  • Scott Richmond
  • 12 Month basic
  • 50 posts
{zen-row}{zen-8}8 grids out of 12{/zen-8}{zen-4}4 grids out of 12{/zen-4}{zen-row}

{zen-row}{zen-7}7 grids out of 12{/zen-7}{zen-5}5 grids out of 12{/zen-5}{zen-row}

As two examples

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Richmond
OK, that works (when a / is added to the last tag ;-)

My tiny MCE editor is a bit cranky when dealing with these kinds of tags. Even in "source" mode it keeps wanting to add things. Any suggestions for an editor?
  • Scott Richmond
  • 12 Month basic
  • 50 posts
A lot of users use the JCE editor

It has removed a few features on the latest release unfortunately to encourage people to buy the pro version

However it is still good to use with images and links - the html editor functionality is in pro but you can toggle off the editor

I'd give it a go and see what you think

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
www.joomlacontenteditor.net/

The not pro version is free - I use it myself
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers