Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

offcanvas questions: menu order, accordion menu problem, off canvas mobile width

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi there!

1. I'm using the offcanvas menu as menu type on all screens sizes just like the build background demo. now I'd like to publish another menu in order before the offcanvas menu. How can I force this?

www.mathelike2016.mathelike.de

Bildschirmfoto2016-08-15um15.53.20.png

2. For any reason the off canvas menu no longer works as an accordion menu showing the active menu item.

I've assigned the menu class suffix "zen-accordion" to the corresponding main menu and the following template settings:

Bildschirmfoto2016-08-15um16.12.20.png

For example please login with:

user demo
PW: mathelike2016

And try this page:

www.mathelike2016.mathelike.de/abi-check/2-geometrie/2-4-abstandsbestimmungen/2-4-3-abstand-windschiefer-geraden.html

The offcanvas menu and also the sidebar menu which both refer to the main menu once worked perfect as an accordion menu.

3. I've choose off canvas width "wide" 'cause I've partially very long item titles to display. How can I have a fullwidth offcanvas in mobile view? Sorry I can't demonstrate this at the moment as the off canvas accordion doesn't work. But I think the following screen of a phone view is clear enough. At the moment offcanvas width "wide" just covers half of the phone view.

Bildschirmfoto2016-08-15um16.23.27.png

Thanks for any assistance!

Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Christian Rieger. Reason: Login data
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Christian,

I'll need to check with Anthony or Rob on these and get back to you

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul!
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
With 2.

Do you have

Show Sub-menu Items

Set to show in the menu module?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

I have set the sub menu items until now not to show because to my experience then the offcanvas menu works correct. Otherwise if I set them to show the offcanvas menu displays completely open all menu items. The sidebar2 menu reacts independent whether the sub menu items are set to show or not. I don't understand why. Both refer to the main menu.

To demonstrate this I have set the sub menu items now to show.

Besides I determined that the main menu entries react different. Please compare the following urls:

Accordion menu completely not working:
www.mathelike2016.mathelike.de/abi-check/1-analysis/1-1-elementare-funktionen-und-ihre-eigenschaften.html

Accordion menu working:
www.mathelike2016.mathelike.de/loesungen-abitur/mathematik-abitur-bayern-2016/pruefungsteil-b/analysis-1/teilaufgabe-1a.html
Works with the sidebar2 menu module but the offcanvas menu displays all items open if set the sub menu items to show.

Thanks!
Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Christian,

I'm seeing both pages off canvas with a closed accordion when I view in Chrome and Firefox - this is working for me

and the sidebar menu accordion not working correctly on any page

At the moment the sidebar module doesn't have the sub menu items set to show - the sub menu does display when its parent link is active (which is normal when sub menu items are off)

I'm a little confused so just trying to clarify where we are with this

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul!

I'm seeing both pages off canvas with a closed accordion when I view in Chrome and Firefox - this is working for me

and the sidebar menu accordion not working correctly on any page

Yes, I can conform this. The Problem is that on offcanvas position only the active menu item(s) should appear open and not the complete menu.

At the moment the sidebar module doesn't have the sub menu items set to show - the sub menu does display when its parent link is active (which is normal when sub menu items are off)

Okay, I've set the sub menu items of the sidebar2 menu module to show. Please compare the two links again and see whats happening. The complete sub menu items of the parent item appear and not only the active menu item(s).

I'm sure that showing the active menu items was already working with the sub menu items set not to show.

This was after an buildr update mentioned by Anthony with this post:

www.joomlabamboo.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=691&id=116594&Itemid=215

I don't know which builds version this was but after this update the accordion menu was showing only the active menu item(s) (even) when the sub menu items of the menu module were set not to show.

Thanks!
Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Christian,

ahh I will need to get back to Anthony on this as I understood above to be the expected behaviour for both menus

Thanks for your patience
Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks a lot, Paul!
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Paul!

Are there yet any news with my three mentioned issues?

Cheers
Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Christian,

My apologies for the delay in coming back here.

1. The accordion menu only has one level of application so in your case the menu is shown open and then all of the nested items beneath it are open. I can see how this makes your navigation complicated but I'm afraid its a limitation in the menu at this stage.

Are the other issues you mentioned above ok now?
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

many thanks for your answer.
I think I've read once about the limitation to use the accordion menu with more then one parent menu items. But I thought this limitation has gone with zgf 5. And because I was shure that both the offcanvas and the sidebar2 menu once worked perfect in my desired manner I tried it again and voila it works.

The only thing I did was setting the sub menu items of the menu modules not to show.

sub_menu_items_no.png

sidebar2_offcanvas.png

You can see the result is that only the active parts of the menu are shown, exactly what I need and what I had already. I don't know why this desired menu appearance was gone. Obviously setting the sub menu items first to show and again not to show fixed it??? But it would be interesting if this menu behavior is stable 'cause it actually should not be possible with the accordion menu if I understand aright?

Here's the link:

www.mathelike2016.mathelike.de/abi-check/1-analysis/1-5-differentialrechnung/1-5-5-newton-verfahren.html

Please login (offcanvas) with:

user demo
PW: mathelike2016

Back to question 1:
How can I position another menu module before the nav collapsee offcanvas menu which is not handled by a menu module?

position_ofmenus.png

Back to question 3:
Because of partially very long menu item titles I'd like to expand the offcanvas menu covering nearly the whole display of phones. Actually offcanvas width is set "wide" but covers only half of the display. As a result the long menu item titles are wrapped in several lines.

wrapped_lines_phone.png

Thank you very much for your support!
Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Christian,

Ah yes sorry my mistake. I was thinking about the old version.

The issue with needing to apply the menu setting twice sounds like a Joomla bug actually. Glad we got to the bottom of that :)

1. I think to do this you need to add a new module position. So go to tpls/blocks/off-canvas.php

2. Paste this: $this->loadModule('offcanvas-above'); with opening and closing php tags directly after the off-canavs-body div.

You can see the example on line 32 of the other offcanvas module.

3. Now the offcanvas-above will display above the offcanvas menu.

To prevent overriding thsi when you update the template next try creating a child theme and adding a block as described here:
docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-template/buildr-documentation/style/using-child-themes#adding-child-theme-layout-blocks

Question 3.
Try adding this to your custom.css file:
@media (max-width: 480px)
.sb-width-wide {
    width: 95%;
}

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Antony,

sorry I must have completely missed your post but will take care now about it. Thank you very much!

And best luck with your new business!

Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Update

By chance I found out that a not installed osmap k2 plugin was the reason why the accordion sidebar menu didn’t show the active menu items.

Cheers
Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Christian,

Are you ok now with above?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I'll pass on your nice words to Anthony :)

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul!
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Paul,

yes, please consider it as finished.

Thanks
Christian
  • Christian Rieger
  • 12 Month basic
  • 261 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Thanks

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers