Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Browser page refresh messes up zentools 2 filter on homepage.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

So I have revamped my site with the new Build.r template and moved it to the root level tonight. Here is a question: When I refresh the homepage in either Safari or Chrome, using the browser refresh button, the images and text in the zentools2 module get all wonky. Oddly enough this doesn't happen in Firefox. You can try it here: www.mainefiberarts.org.

The page refreshes fine if I click the logo or the home menu item. Any ideas?

Carol Jones

P.S. Thank you for all your help getting me this far. More questions to come later.
Attachments:
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Carol,

With the url you have

www.mainefiberarts.org/#43.924191/-69.963425/9

This looks like the map co-ordinates for the location - are you able to remove these?

Not sure if this is the issue but its very odd

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul/Carol

The co-ordinates are coming from the map in the module grid position and the 9 is the scale. Hotspots is adding these via the plugin. Creating a new hidden menu as per the other post may help.

May feeling is there some conflict going on with hotspots css (maybe js) and the template. You mentioned in another post k2 i think, again this with hotspots can work but also create some issues if not setup in a particular way. Some of the later hotspots version update some of these issues.

Assuming the latest versions of hotspot are installed my approach would be to debug by turn off hotspots and maybe uninstall it. Data can be left in the db. Then track down the issues, I would not do this on a live site and always ensure you have working tested backups. Once on a dev server you can then try the developer versions from hotspots and still which parts of the site code are causing the issues.

It is a bit of stab in the dark but may help you work through it.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Thanks Ian :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes. Hotspots has a plugin called "Hotspots Anywhere" which lets you put the map into a custom html module or an article. It's that plugin that puts in the coordinates I specified into the url. I was suspecting that, but the fact that the page refreshes fine in Firefox leads me to believe it is something else. (hope maybe better than believe)

I've been using the Hotspots map since last December and it is fine other than the possible refresh fail that may be caused by the way I have implemented it to show up on the front page. I will try the hidden menu way once I get back to it.

Thanks for your "stab." It's not totally dark.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

I think we would need to see the url without those co-ordinates to see what is happening with the refresh
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Right! Good idea. I will try it. Soon. Will report back.

Thank you,

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
OK. I disabled the plugin that put the map coordinates into the URL and the same thing is happening. I don't think it's the map or plugin. That's the latest. What does Firefox do differently from Safari or Chrome that makes it refresh the page correctly when Safari and Chrome don't? That is the question.

Beyond me.

The other piece of information about this thing is that you can paste the URL into a new browser window, even with the map coordinates and it works correctly. Seems to.

Thats it for now. Taking another break from it. So many things are working fine I don't want to break anything.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

So working in firefox but not anywhere else?

Have you asked the map folks about issues relating to this?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes. Refreshing in Firefox is fine. Yes. I have been in contact with map folks. When I disabled the plugin that put the map coordinates into the URL and still got the refresh fail, I told him he was off the hook for that issue.

I still have not tried the hidden menu option, but I plan to. I have to read up on it first.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

Can you try with the hidden menu option and then if still not working after that I'll check with rob or anthony

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
OK. About the hidden menu option. In order to have a hidden menu, you have to have it in a module position of nothing, no module for the menu, and you have to have it point to an article. Right?

So I set up a hidden menu with the menu module not published to any particular module and created an article with the plugin as the content. Because I had to use a category for this article, it shows up with the list of all the articles in this category and the map coordinates show at the top of that page. But I took it down because that's not what I want.

None of the other pages on the site are affected by this bad browser refresh so there is no way to test it.

If I try to put the hidden menu module in a new position on the home page instead of in no position, nothing happens, but, guys, the way the map plugin works ("Hotspots Anywhere") is because of those coordinates showing at the top of the page, hidden menu or not.

And if the menu is hidden, it needs an article to be there, right? And if there is an article how can I place it in a module position on the home page without some kind of module, such as the content I have in the accordion? And to get the map to show up in an article it needs the plugin and you would still see the coordinates. That's the way it works unless I'm really lost here.

Besides. I have disabled this plugin and the refresh still doesn't work correctly in either Safari or Chrome.

If you type in www.mainefiberarts.org into the browser the page looks fine, if you click on the logo or the home menu it looks fine. If you paste in the URL with the http:// and with the coordinates it is fine. It is fine with a browser refresh in firefox. It only fouls up when you refresh the home page in the browser in Safari or Chrome while you are on the home page.

The reason I wanted to use this "build.r" template was so I could show this map on the home page as well as on an internal page. I've got that and it shouldn't be so hard.

I feel like I'm going around in circles now.

Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Carol Jones
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

I'm using Chrome and it now works for me refresh wise
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
and my Ipad it looks ok but you do really want to get these map co-ordinates out of the url for both users and google

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
It does not work for me. See attachments. One how it is supposed to look and one the way it looks if you refresh using the browser refresh button.

Screenshot2016-06-1908.22.07.png

Screenshot2016-06-1908.21.43.png
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
I will ask Daniel, the map developer, if there is a way to do hide the coordinates, but I doubt if it is possible.

Plus, remember, when I got the coordinates out and disabled the plugin that put them there, I still got the messed up refresh. It only messes up on the home page and it only messes up the Zentools2 filter module in the grid2 position. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that?

Thank you for trying. I really appreciate your time, but so far it is still a mystery.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

I'll ask the team to check on their machines to see if they still have the same issue

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Any more thoughts on your end? This is driving me nuts. I thought maybe there were some settings in the grid1 and grid2 sections of the Buildr design screen where this misbehaving Zentools2 filter is located, but couldn't see anywhere to make it behave differently.

We have to forget about the map coordinates causing an issue, I have the map coordinates on other pages and nothing is amiss with a browser refresh. It is only on the home page with the Zentools2 module in grid2.

Another piece of information is that when the page refreshes wrong (titles and text are cut off), then when I apply a filter, the "show all" filter always returns to the wrong look. When I refresh the page with the home button or the logo, then all the filters work perfectly and as expected.

Would there be any point to moving the two modules in grid1 and grid2 down to 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 etc.? Could there be something in some way back code that is affecting grid1 and grid2 (especially grid2) making it misbehave?

Since the misbehaving zentools 2 module is a joomlabamboo feature, that's why I keep bugging you. I haven't had any other issues (other than my own mistakes) with any of the zentools or zentools2 modules I have used and there at lots of them.

Thank you for not forgetting this.

Carol Jones
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

With the menu I see the active link not changing - do you have server or site caching?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers