Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Facebook like buttons

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Paul
Thought it easier to start a different thread for this one. More advice than technical here.
The site I manage is one that use to interact with facebook and I used to code the facebook elements manually via html - very basic.

I started using a facebook extension when I started with joomla. Currently socialconnect for logon, which seems to play nicely with joomlabamboo, and I'd hoped I could use your built in functionality for like and share.
The problem I have is that there isn't a simple like button on the articles so a user has to think of liking it themselves and search it out whereas if it's obvious on the page it invites a click. For the moment I've disabled the social functionality in the template (elegant as it is) and have installed an extension which really isn't working in all browsers. Is there an alternative solution you could recommend? I appreciate your option looks better and the share certainly works but my users just won't get around to clicking something that's so unobtrusive and they are more likely to like than share as it's faster.
Appreciate any ideas on this one for the simplest solution.
Thanks
Jan
  • Janice Jones
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Jan

I would take a look through the Joomla extensions directory for a plugin that hass the features that you need.

Most of them have options of which articles they should show on and they generally use plugin events to output their code which can be added at the top or bottom of the article page.

You could also get the button code directly from facebook and add it to a template override.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Robert Went.
Thanks Rob., Yes I did that and ended up with the one on there at present but I'm heading towards the override solution. Sourcecoasts looked the best but I'm trying to strip out as many extensions as I can.
Thanks again
  • Janice Jones
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Good luck with it

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers