Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

ZenTools2 Using Banner as content source is missing the Target attributes

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

On my test page at drcarney.cloudaccess.host In the Grid 3 position I am using ZenTools2 instead of the Joomla banner modules. It is much better looking. However, there is one thing that is definitely missing. They banner modules built into Joomla have the ability to select the target from a pull down menu. This is missing in ZenTools2. It is needed IMHO because we need the ability to sent people to a new page and not the replace the page they are on. Also, to really make it powerful there would be a way for us to create a unique target name.

Just my 2 cents worth. But, right now that is the one thing that is making me struggle about whether to use ZenTools2 instead of the banners module that is built into Joomla.

The other issue that is really interesting, is that the banners module does not bypass the banners impressions and tracking.

I guess this is also a request for consideration of two product enhancements:
1) Add the target attribute
2) Consider how to honor the banner component impressions and click tracking.

Here is a simple product that is out there that has managed to use the joomla banner component, add animations and keep the component urls which create the tracking of impressions and clicks:

extensions.joomla.org/extension/responsive-banner-slider

Thanks, Sean
  • scarney
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by scarney.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Sean,

does that module include the impressions and tracking?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The module itself does NOT contain the impressions and tracking. That would probably be quite complicated. Instead it appears that they are able to figure out what the component URL is for each ad and then link to those urls instead of linking to the final destination url.

For example: Right now on my page at drcarney.cloudaccess.host in the grid1 and grid4 positions there are some Joomla Banner Component images with links that go through the component impression and clicks tracking urls.

such as:

drcarney.cloudaccess.host/component/banners/click/7

That is the url that is created by the Joomla banner component. It does the redirect and the tracking when clicked on. And, somehow that component/banner url might also be used in the tracking of impressions. I am not sure exactly how they are allowing the component to continue to track impressions. But, again, they are NOT doing any of that tracking themselves. But, once you click on the image the url does it's magic and you are redirected to the actual url and the tracking is done also.

In my case in those positions the url is redirected to www.veggievore.com/diabetes-in-retreat-dvd

I suspect that ZenTools2 could do the same thing because this developer for the Responsive Joomla Banner Sliders does not appear to be doing anything too complicated. I actually greatly prefer ZenTools2 because I don't have to create multiple image slideshows to make it work.I probably won't use his software.

Unfortunately, in grid2 and grid3 right now you will see I am using ZenTools2 to deliver Joomla Banner Component content and I am sacrificing the impressions and clicks tracking.

Hope this helps to clarify things somewhat.

Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi Sean,

Adding the tracking and impressions zentools2 would need to be a component so it wouldn't be possible to add unless we re-wrote
the entire extension

Integrating with a component e.g. like the module above would be more possible but at the moment we aren't added big new features to zentools2

I will add your feedback when we have our internal discussion at the beginning of next week

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thank you very much. Yes, indeed the component route does not seem like a good choice at all. Too much work. :-)

I was thinking a bit more about this today and realized that the Responsive Banners Slider module was probably just copying the functionality from the core Joomla Banners module.

The ads are created in the banner component. But then the joomla banners module is what allows the component that already exists to track the impressions and clicks.

I do think this would be a fantastic addition to ZenTools2.

I also think adding the ability to determine if a URL goes to a NEW window is very important. Maybe I am missing something but for the banners I am doing now in ZenTools2 they are all opening in the same window which is NOT a behavior I like. :-) In fact it is possibly a show stopper for me and so I am having struggling with the idea of having to abandon ZenTools2 for this task. :-(

However, Thanks for thinking this through with me and please do share the ideas with the team.

I believe this won't be too hard to pull off and could be a very big win because there is nothing out there that can do what ZenTools2 could do to improve the ad delivery for any where near the price point of ZenTools2. So, I think people would go for it, some just for the management of their banner ads.

These are the TWO settings I believe you would ad to ZenTools2 in the event that somebody selected Joomla Banners as their content source:

1) Target:
Open in parent window
Open in new window
OPen in popup
I would also like to suggest somebody should allow a person to enter a text string to create a custom target.

2) URL Routing:
Use Joomla Banner Component Tracking URL
Go directly to target URL

Anyhow, again... nobody has anything like this. And, you could REALLY improve the layout of ads this way. For example I would like to create one row with four columns, for ads displayed, etc... side by side. This something that ZenTools2 could really do easily!

Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
To get a good idea of the difference between how ZenTools2 can display banner ads better than the core joomla banners module check out the following page:

drcarney.cloudaccess.host/blog

At this point in the left hand column sidebar1 you will see eight ads stacked.

The first four ads are from the Joomla banner module.
There are four modules each displaying one category.

The second four ads are from the ZenTools2 module.
There is only ONE module displaying one item each out of four categories.

Obviously the ZenTools2 module is the clear winner so far!

Now, roll your mouse over the first four Joomla Banner Module generated ads. The urls that display are Joomla banner component URLs. These URLs do a redirect and track impressions and clicks.

Now, roll your moouse over the last four ZenTools2 Banner Module generated ads. The urls that display are NOT Joomla banner component URLs. These URL will not do a redirect through the Joomla Banners Component and so the component will not be able to track impressions or clicks.

The ZenTools2 Module is NOT the clear winner at this point. :-( But, it could be! :-)
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi Sean,

At the moment we are looking at template releases and not adding new features to zentools2

It could be something we come back to as we move forward with zentools2 spring summer 2017

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul,

I can understand trying to focus on template releases for now.

I also hope you will seriously look at my request as soon as you are ready to start again with ZenTools2 improvements.

I suspect it is an idea with a lot of upside for not too much expenditure of energy.

Let me know if it would help to speed things up if I was willing to contribute some financially to get the project done.

Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi Sean,

I will follow up on this next year

sounds odd saying this :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I am grateful that we can reconsider this next year. I had to drop ZenTools2 for the ad banners because not being able to set a target as new was a definite show stopper. :-( ZenTools2 is much better than the core banner modules except for this.

I also needed to use the redirect urls for tracking although that I would have been willing to do without.

My site looked much better using ZenTools2. So, the sooner you decide to look at this the better. In the meantime...

Have a happy holiday.

Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Thanks Sean

Happy Holidays :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers