Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Problems with using K2 in Zentools2 modules

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

I've encountered three not-so-nice-effects with Joomla 3, Zentools2 and K2 (all up-to-date versions) which I hadn't with J2.5 and the then current versions of K2 and Zentools (yeah, a private website project being postponed for some time now due to real life interference ...):

- In K2 I have defined categories to form a three-level-hierarchy (Region - (continent_name) - (country_name). Selecting "Region" from the category list as source doesn't find any items in the subcategories although "Retrieve child categories" is set to "Yes". It works fine as soon as I select countries individually but as this list may become quite extensive over time it's not really convenient.

- For a slideshow I selected image, title and introtext in the item layout. Unfortunately there's no longer an option to specify which K2 image size should be used. Examing the link created on the site with Firebug I can see that the XL-version is referenced which I don't have in my cache as I don't need images that large anywhere on my site. So I get squares in various colors not especially attractive.

- To compensate for that setting the pagination type to thumbnail grid results in the same "images" (i.e. grey, brown, ... squares) as in the slideshow but with a size of 1x1 which is quite tiny even for thumbnails.

Have I missed anything in the settings? I spent some time now experimenting with every setting seeming somewhat reasonable but I'm not able to get around these effects.

Any hint appreciated!

Thanks,
Susanne
  • Aldawen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 39 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Susanne,

1. Just looking into this one.

2. Hmm that's an odd one. I just assumed that XL was automatically created so went with that. Have you removed xl images or is there a setting I've missed that allows you to not generate the xl sizes? A short term solution may be to resize the images although - perhaps they don't exist anyway?

3.Not sure what you mean by the same images? Do you have a link?

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

yes, you're right, I usually remove image sizes I don't need and especially the large ones as they consume to much precious space ;)
As a workaround I surely could generate the XL version but I'd really prefer to specify what size to use (in my case that would be M as I have this in use anyway).

Missing the XL version of the images the slideshow only shows brown and grey squares. And the thumbnail grid as pagination uses the same squares (which, of course, could be expected) but as I said in a size of 1x1 px which is a bit too tiny. I'm sure this can be handled via CSS but seems an odd default nevertheless ...

Thanks,
Susanne
  • Aldawen
  • 39 posts
Hi Susanne,

I have the child category issues fixed here. Will include the zip below.

Hmm ok .. Basically the way we handle images in zentools2 changed. But I have just made a change so that rather than referencing the xl image it references the src image in the media/k2/src folder.

Let me know if that fixes it.
Thanks
Attachments:
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aldawen
Hi Anthony,

wow, that again proves the extraordinary support you offer! Yes, working now. I get the right pictures in the module. Regarding the child category stuff it still wouldn't take items two levels down the hierarchy (so I don't get items from my country categories when setting the content source to "Region") but when I select the continent level in between the two it's working fine. And as this list is quite restricted (at least compared to individual countries ;) ) I'm fine with that.

Thanks!
Susanne
  • Aldawen
  • 39 posts
Hi Susanne,
Yes unfortunately that would add an extra layer of processing I guess. Ill add it for us to look at but for now I'm glad you are happy with the outcome.
Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers