Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

eCommerce

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi there, can you recommend a reliable and easy-to-use/set up extension for your Joomla! 3+ templates? My client wants an eCommerce section to sell products. I'll be using the Colourshift2 template. Please let me know :)

Thanks,
Nader
  • azzaya
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 276 posts
  • 5 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Nader.

E-commerce is a tricky one

How many products are you wanting to sell?

Is the client managing the e-commerce system?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

No, I'd be the one managing the site. Basically, it's a hair school that sells packages on learning different techniques. There will be a few packages, maybe around 10-15. Wanted something that would allow quantity selection, and be able to link to a payment gateway like Paypal or something. This will be my first time incorporating a shopping cart, which is why I asked. Would something like this do the trick?

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/e-commerce/shopping-cart/eshop/

I'll be redesigning the www.grahamwebbacademy.edu/ website. They're currently using Adobe Business Catalyst, but I want to use Joomla. If you take a look, they have packages they sell. I need to mimic that sort of shopping cart.

Thanks,
Nader
  • azzaya
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 276 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Hi Nader,

You will need to add styling support for which ever component you use

Most members seem to prefer hikashop but as with all e-commerce systems it is complex

They do offer a starter version that might be worth looking at to see what you think
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
sorry forgot the link - www.hikashop.com/
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Ok will do. Thanks, Paul.

Nader
  • azzaya
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 276 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Hi Nader

I'd echo Paul's comment about Hikashop, it is sound component for adding a ecommerce solution to Joomla, is actively developed and supported. It is our go to solution if we are adding to joomla.

Hikashop though is complex to setup and support especially for the first time. It may be overkill for simple shop.

Another to look at is J2store
www.j2store.org
Again well supported and simpler to setup, but is growing in size.

For a really simple store that does not need complex backend management we will just use PayPal to add the button or cart code into joomla articles or modules. PayPal provide all the tools and management needed.

If you need some help adding the code, you could use an extension. Instant paypal offer one for free
storejextensions.org/extensions/instant_paypal.html

I would avoid complex carts unless you really need the added functionality and management tools, or need to support specific payment gateways. In all cases you are likely to need to tweak the styling. JB templates work well with hikashop for the most part.

Just my thoughts on the subject as a user.

Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
That's very helpful! Thank you so much, Ian. Much appreciated.

Nader
  • azzaya
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 276 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Thanks Ian :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers