Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

move template to clean installation

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Because of issues with a migrationo to joomla 3.x I had to install a fresh joomla, import the hundreds of articles and now need to upload the template I have already customized in another build to this site, I tried zipping it, and then uploading it in Extensions, Install, but got the message cannot find xml, I need to use this template, how shall I create a package that will allow me to upload this template I have modified in another 3.x site, it is highline 2, thanks!
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Are you looking to transfer templates settings and position layout from one site to another?

Is that all you need?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
That would be nice, but I see what you are saying, I should just install highline2 from joomlabamboo and then move style sheet over, from the development site. is there an easy way to transfer module positions and settings?
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
Yes to installing highline2 in the site you want to copy the template style to but no in copying the template css file (other than a custom.css) this isn't required

I'm assuming you have working backups from the site/sites?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I have already customized the Highline2 template completely in the other site but cannot use the site because during the transfer the article IDs got changed with sp transfer. Its a large site and we did not want to do redirects. Sp Transfer support had me do a clean fresh joomla 3.x install and he moved all content over, its perfect now all ids correct. I have installed the extensions and now I need to move the template that I have already customized (and positions and settings if possible ) over to the new installation from the site I have already customized, I tried by zipping template and then installing it in extension manager and that did not work.
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
Hi

Can you give the theme in the old site a named preset so it's unique

You can do this via design and presets and then save

With changing the preset name you will also be moving a couple of files so please make sure the site is backed up

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by manh.
After that you need to go to

\templates\buildr\settings\config

and copy the config file that matches the id of the template in the site you are copying
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Then go to

\templates\buildr\settings\themes

and copy the named file you created previously
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
In the other site where you are copying the files to - you need to have a template style created and make a note of its template id in the template manager
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
So now you need to copy across the files to the other site

The config file will probably need to be renamed to match the template id you created

once copied across and renamed you should be good to go
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If there is anything you aren't clear on please ask me

I need to drop off now as its 1am but will around bright and early tomorrow

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
OK, I almost got it, any help to finsih would be greatly appreciated!!

Old site: Backed it up, I renamed Preset xeromar, then downloaded (from Settings folder) the config folder, file config-26.json, and the theme folder, theme.xeromar.json.

New site: downloaded theme only, from Highline2 page, installed in Extensions Manager, created Preset Theme zeromar and saved, congfig folder now had config-9.json, renamed , uploaded config-26, renamed congig-9, themes folder, renamed theme.xeromar.json to theme.xeromarOLD.json and uploaded theme.xeromar.json,

backed up Buildr/css and overwrote from old site

Saved in Template Edit Style making sure zeromar is selected, do I need to do anything with the Load Settings option, when I saved it did have a message saying loading config-9

The module positions are not imported, did I make a mistake, anything easily fixable, or should I manually make the changes I need again?

Old site -perfect style and settings,justice-integrity.org/feb/
New site- not perfect, justice-integrity.org/mar/
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
Hi again,

You don't need to upload the folders you just need the json files

You don't need to create the preset named file in the recipient site

You don't need to replace or upload any css

You need to upload the config file - \templates\buildr\settings\config

You need to upload the themes file - \templates\buildr\settings\themes

Sorry I think I missed that you need to upload the layout file you need to save / create
\templates\buildr\settings\layouts

You only need to rename the config file to match the id of the template id in the recipient site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul, the layout file helped, but I still had to manually change module positions and make some language edits again. That's fine, I got the site back where it needed to be, it was quite a learning curve with such a large site and the sp transfer.
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
hmm the module positions should work

Language edits are a little different

Thanks for the update

I've never really had to move a big site so I can well imagine the challenges :)

Congratulations

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers