Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Horrirrible things are happening on the home page

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Our "home page" is no longer the root page of the site. When I just type in our URL www.mainefiberarts.org, only the footer shows. If I click on the logo top left or the word Home in the top (main) menu, the site appears to load correctly but then every article in the whole site is showing up and an extra page appears even before the other stuff that is supposed to be on that page. I have a feeling I didn't do it right in the first place, but it has been working and now I don't know what the right way is!!! Help!!!!!

I just updated Joomla, but that had no effect. The problem was before that. I had been afraid to update for fear of problems, then when I had this horrible problem I thought I might as well update. Nothing is helped. I have no idea what i would have done wrong. I only edited one article, then noticed the top menu was not behaving and fixed that and now...ugh.

Thank you for any advice you may have. I'm at a loss.
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Oh thank heavens. I fixed it. I had checked the wrong article to be the home page. I meant to make it a featured item. Wrong star. Not to worry. OK now. I think.
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by palominojones. Reason: spelling fixed
ah right

Thanks for update

Have a great Christmas / holiday

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Well, not totally OK. Now can't get to the backend because of the dreaded "Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error"

I have been reading all about it, read about disabling jb library, but I thought I had done that ages ago. I also read that it is likely to be caused by params written like this: {""} in some database tables. I've been looking but don't know how to do a fast search and so I gave that up, and since I can't get into the backend I can't go about disabling other plugins one by one as was recommended. I've cleared the browser cache and others, and while I was in the backend everything was fine, just since I logged out and wrote you. Sigh. I'll keep researching.
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi

Do you have many non Joomla Bamboo extensions installed?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Depends on your definition of "many" I guess. I think most of them are disabled except K2, Hotspots, Formmaker, K2 easy filter. I have been disabling more than I've enabled during the last couple of years and I do keep them up to date. There is one I have tried to delete but I can see from the mysql table structure that there are still fields pertaining to that. It won't help now because I can't get into the backend to delete or disable anything.

I found a script on Rob Went's blog to fix certain things in the tables and it makes sense, but it says to backup the database. Since I can't get into the backend, I don't know how to do that or where to keep the backed up one.
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
FYI. Found it. Did it. Ran the script. Seems to be OK now. I can log in. And I can log out.

Thank you Paul, google, Rob, people who know about this stuff. Scared of Joomla now.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

Can I suggest you take an akeeba backup (install it if you haven't already)

Test the backup

Then uninstall any extension you are no longer using in the site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Backing up the database would mean logging into cpanel and taking a backup copy of the database there

An akeeba backup unless configured otherwise includes the database
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks for the advice. It is good to be reminded. I do make a backup every month or so. I will do it again, and will scrutinize the plugins to make sure the useless rejects are deleted as well as trashed.

The only errors found by the Rob Went script I ran were with banners and zee maps which I don't use. And those errors didn't keep the site from coming back up after the script. Great relief.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Best of luck with the site

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
and Happy Holidays from the team

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers