Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Would it be possible to lock two rows to the top of a Build.r template?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I want to do a redesign of my most popular site and have a consistent search field always in the same place on every page. The idea I had was to lock it into the fix navigation bar. Here is a site that does something very cool where they have a 'row' above the main menu that has search locked into place:

www.drfuhrman.com/

Could we do something like this with Build.r?

On this page when you scroll the search always stays visible as does the menu.

Just curious. thanks. Sean
  • scarney
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
HI Sean,

The fixed-left, fixed-right and toolbar rows all use fixed positioning and stick to the top of the screen.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarney
Good news indeed. Thank you. I also love your themes for Build.r that put the search next to the logo.

I am eager to see the next themes that come out with the new owners. I am so comforted knowing you and Paul are still on board. .
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Thanks Sean

Best of luck with the new site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I was going to mention that those positions were not listed in the documentation at docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-template/buildr-documentation/layout/module-positions

So, I was wondering about where they were. But, I have already answered that question. It looks like anything I put into top-left, top-right and toolbar will be locked to the top. Very cool.

I do wonder now if the Stickynav should be turned OFF if we are going to try to put the menu module into the Toolbars position. Or, does the Stickynav also lock to the top of the screen if it is selected?

I am actually playing with the positions a bit now and noticed that the top-left, top-right and I suspect toolbar positions seem to be full width positions and not constrained by the template width.

I also tried to place something in the top-right position (a custom module) and also put the Menu into the toolbar position but that did not work. So, It is looking like I may need some more skill to figure out how to use top-left, top-right and toolbar.

But, I will not worry about that right now. I just wanted to make you aware of the issue. Basically I copied the custom module top-left and created a duplicated called top-right and assigned it to the top-right position. At first there was no top-right position available. Also, I ended up assigning the Main Menu to the toolbar position which also did not exist in the template so I just had to make it custom.

Thanks, Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by scarney.
Yes sticky nav should as well

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I think that Stickynav only works if there is nothing in top-left or top-right.

At least that seems to be what happened while I was playing with the Xero theme using the Build.r Quickstart.
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
I think I have an idea of something that I would love to see as a possible wish list item which would be to be able to have the stickynav functionality also include another row that followed the same width as the template. The reason is that I was am looking at the Xero theme in the Quickstart and loving the row with the logo and the search on it. I would like to create a way to lock the logo and the search to the top just above the Menu. If that isn't possible I could live with it but it seems like it would be so good for me because Search is the best way to find things on our site at DrCarney.com and I want it to be super prominent on every screen.

anyhow, just a suggestion for consideration.

Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
This image should give you the idea of a site that locks search into the top navigation area. like stickynav.

I like the way you did it with Xero though where the logo and the search are on a row above the menu. In a perfect world that is what I would get.
Attachments:
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by scarney.
Hi Sean,

With the ability to drag and drop positions you should be to add the positions to a particular row

the challenge will be I think when the row collapses

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers