Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Switching between templates for e-commerce pages

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi all,
I'd like to use one template (e.g. Buildr) as the main template, and to sell products on that site I'd like to use one of your ecommerce templates (e.g. Rasa2).
Is that possible? Perhaps as a Buildr Theme?
I ask because the appearance of the ecommerce pages in Rasa2 are beautiful, but the rest of the template is not quite what I'd like.
I'm planning on using a Joomla-based ecommerce program called J2store to sell products.
Perhaps there is another solution to having a beautiful site that also presents products beautifully?

Let me know your thoughts/ideas when you can.
Thanks, Nick
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Nick

There is no reason why you cannot use two or more templates, core joomla allows this, however in my opinion you can get disjointed look to the site and navigation. It also increases maintenance on the site as you need to update two templates. It is also simpler when sub pages open from links in the component to get the styling right,

Rasa2 from memory uses HikaShop as the ecommerce programme but a lot of the layout and styling still comes from HikaShop component. HikaShop can also be used as a content source in zentools2.

We have used J2Store and again most of layout and styling is from the component, with JB templates overriding some of the styling. Try it, in most cases it will work out of the box and fit with the template. J2Store is easier to get to grips with than HikaShop in our experience.

Alternatively you could create your own theme within Buildr to create the look of Rasa, I'd start from Xero and then add the styling changes you wish.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Hi Nick,

I'd agree with Ian -

one of the mantras with web usability design is " don't make me think" in regard to users navigating a site

I'd also follow Ian's advice regarding Rasa2

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks,
So, Paul, just remind me, how do I change the background colour of only the 'Read More...' button, because the 'Add to cart' button has the same background colour.
I can change them both, but not individually.
Any help appreciated.
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Nick,

Readmore on which template?

Have a link?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Paul,
Sorry for being so vague.
I'm using Buildr and the j2store extension.
I think it's a CSS issue that is causing the change in button colour as both are .btn-success buttons, but one is green (default) and the other grey (perhaps as a result of something in the j2store CSS - but I can't find anything that should change its colour).

The grey background colour seems to be controlled in the theme.backgrounder.css (below), but 'background' has a line through it (in developer tools); and when I remove 'background' the button then turns green from the original grey colour.

.btn, input.btn, input.button {
display: inline-block;
color: #fff;

background: #334d5c; <---grey colour, remove this and the button turns green

border: 1px solid #21323b;
padding: 10px;
border-radius: 0px;
box-shadow: none;
text-shadow: none;
margin: 0 10px 10px 0;
-webkit-transition: all .2s ease-in;
-moz-transition: all .2s ease-in;
-o-transition: all .2s ease-in;
transition: all .2s ease-in;
}

Probably nothing I can do about it. And it's just an observation. I think I can live with it for now.
But if you have a suggestion, I'm all ears.
Thanks, Nick
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
I think I've made sense of it. The grey button is an 'input' button, which according to the CSS above, should be grey in colour.
Took forever, but finally got there (understanding). I think.
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Nick,

If still having problems - can you add a link?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers