Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

ascent2. rss feed has no content

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi ,
I have enable an RSS feed on my website using joomla (3.6.2) as the creator. The feed is live (validated etc) but no content is included just the site info...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- generator="Joomla! - Open Source Content Management" -->
<feed xmlns="www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
<title type="text">The House that Will</title>
<subtitle type="text">Irish Home & Interiors Blog</subtitle>
<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://www.thehousethatwill.com"/>
<id>www.thehousethatwill.com/</id>
<updated>2016-08-07T16:05:01+00:00</updated>
<generator uri="www.joomla.org">Joomla! - Open Source Content Management</generator>
<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="www.thehousethatwill.com/?format=feed&type=atom"/>
</feed>

I suspect its something needs to be changed in the Modules: Syndication Feeds Advanced tab to allow joomla to id the articles but I could be wrong...

Any suggestions?
thanks
  • Norma Owens
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 13 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Norma,

I must admit this is something I've never really used

Have you followed the steps listed here?

stackoverflow.com/questions/22698473/how-to-create-rss-feed-from-my-category-joomla-3-2-3

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi paulus103,

yes, those are exactly the steps I followed.
The feed did start working but as I said no content :-(
  • Norma Owens
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 13 posts
I tried this myself - are you publishing the module to the category page that you want the feed to display?

I published my module to a category blog page
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi paulus,

I prefer the layout of the Zentools module, so I'm using Zentools to display the articles on the home page rather than a Category Blog.

I have now created a category blog and The rss module is associated with a hidden menu that is athis Category Blog. The rss feed now works by unpublishing the menu and I don't understand why that is the case. If I publish the menu, the rss stops working.

Also, I really want the rss to be associated with the homepage url. Is there any way to either remove the menu it's associated with from the url, or to publish the rss on the home page such that it is not visible?

the link is now http://www.thehousethatwill.com/the-house-that-will-blog?format=feed&type=atom

thanks again
  • Norma Owens
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 13 posts
As I understand it the rss feed only works when it's assigned to the category page you want the rss feed to contain

You could try assigning the rss feed to the home page and use the blog layout then hide the front-page content via the template settings and populate the page with modules

But it's not something I've tried myself
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi paulus

I made a Category Blog menu item called "rss" in the Footer Menu, which is published, and the rss feed module is assigned to that menu.

so now I get an rss feed at http://www.thehousethatwill.com/rss-feed?format=feed&type=atom

this feed does not have any of the subcategory content. wen I assigned the category blog to a hidden unpublished menu it did have all the content but again the url is not what I need it to be.

I still can't get the http://www.thehousethatwill.com/?format=feed&type=atom to have the content. what am I missing!?!!

thanks again
  • Norma Owens
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 13 posts
Following on from my test and link I added above -

The rss module needs to be assigned to the category page that the rss feed displays content from

e.g decor rss feed would have an rss module assigned to the decor category page and the rss feed would only contain content from that decor category
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Have you checked the joomla extension directory to see if there is a better option for you?

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers