Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Joomla Profile Module Format

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I'm using Gazetta, and the User Profile is somewhat underwhelming - I think that is down to a fairly vanilla module in Joomla itself. But the appearance on Safari on iPad and iPhone is problematic, as the definition list which displays the core profile is pushed to the right of the Edit Profile button. It is okay on PC and in other browsers.

My questions are:
Is there something that needs to be changed in my template, or some custom css required to make the small screen layout consistent with big screen?

Secondly, if I want a tidier layout for the profile and edit profile, do I just go and edit those modules and what are the implications for upgrades, or would I be better to acquire a plug in for this, and do you have a recommendation?
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Is there a way I can see via a link the issues you have?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last reply was a copy and paste, forgot to edit it...

Sorry Paul, should have included this in first post. Here is a link to test site where you can see the issue:
181.224.149.100/~clarkso3/

It appears the issue is the module in Joomla standard is pretty simple, I guess I'm after advice how best to proceed to address that.
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
You'll need a login, I have set up one which will allow login on the site, but nothing else (registered user content not loaded yet)

/* removed */
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by manh.
i'll look at the site but i'll remove those details first
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi

Try adding -

.profile .btn-toolbar.pull-right {float: none;}
.profile ul.btn-toolbar {margin-left:0; margin-bottom:30px;}
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
and also try

.profile dd {float:right}
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks once again. The last adjustment didn't do quite what I was after, but the changes to button positioning fixed the list.

I guess more generally, do you have a recommendation for a plugin or module for making the profile layout better, or am I just better to re-code the module. Asking as a relative newbie and relying on your greater knowledge of the space and what might be available to save me re-inventing the wheel. Liking the Joomla richness, but trying to stay focused on content and buy-in know-how and formatting, such as your lovely templates.

Alternatively, I guess I could get you to do as a commissioned job? Let me know what you think is the better route.
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
I'll need to check on Monday on this one as I'm a little uncertain on what is possible

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi

User management depends on what you wish to achieve from your site and users. For detailed management you may well want to add a component/module, and there are plenty if you wish to build communities or networks, however in many cases Joomla already has plenty of tools in the core. You can of course customise the look and feel further with template override or custom css styling. Before adding it is worth taking a look at what Joomla can offer.

Here is a link to lots of joomla user management information:
docs.joomla.org/Portal:User_Management

Now some tips and things to take a look at that may help.

1. In the user global configuration there are some settings that can help reduce the clutter after someone goes to the profile page. Under user options there is a setting Frontend User Parameters, hiding this turns off many of the options that allow the user to choose options, in many cases you will not want the user to change these, turning it off (hide) will give a cleaner profile page.

2. When you set up the menu link for login, there a number of options for re-directs, it may be worth directing to another page after login rather than accepting the default. This depends on your site, but we would usually direct to somewhere else and not immediately show the profile page.

3. Take a look at the user profile plugin. Look under plugins then filter on user to reduce the list. You will see a user profile plugin. This has lots of options to gather information from users with other fields than are showing by default. In most cases you can use these fields to obtain the information you require from users as they login. The field title do not meet you needs you could consider basic language overrides to change the title to something you need before considering custom code. You can of course create override and custom field but in many instances there is plenty to get started with. Here is an article with some more help:
www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/user-profile-plugin/

4. Another plugin, that is little used from the core Joomla, is contact creator. It may help you create user profiles and user list. Here is an article that explain the concept:
www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/contact-creator/

I hope that gives you some ideas before you consider adding extensions to joomla or custom work. It may well do want you need. Then next step may be to look at template overrides and custom styling, I'm sure JB support will be able to quote you for specific work if you need help outside of this forum,

It really is dependant on your site requirements for managing users and what you want them to be able to achieve in the site. Some more information on this will help someone here to give some more help. It is rare that for our client sites that we need to go outside of Joomla for user management except for ecommerce.

I hope this gives you some ideas to consider.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Clarkson
Hi Ian,

That was way more effort than I anticipated, and I realise now I should have given more info. My main issue is the way the edit profile and view profile modules display the profile information in this template. I was wondering whether to fix that it was just easier to buy-in some profile plugin than fiddle around with my relative newbie skills with Joomla.

I guess I have the nous to work through all this, but I'm on a steepish learning curve on Joomla, ZenTools and the Gazetta template, I was just hoping for a quick response that might say, go ahead and edit the module, but watch out for this gotcha, or here is a neat plug-in.

I really appreciate your lengthy response and the advice included.
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers