Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Small Problem with Layout Entry not Hiding

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Up front let me declare I'm a bit of a newbie at Joomla! and also new to JoomlaBamboo templates.

I am extremely happy with functionality and design of Gazetta and madly working to translate an old web site to new platform and convert and freshen content. All going reasonably well.

One niggle I have though is I have duplicated the Gazetta - Default template and named it Gazetta - Blank. In this copy of the template, I only want the main content and sidebar, as it is for content to be nested in an iFrame.

In layout on Gazetta - Blank, I have turned off all the grid entries except Main content and Sidebar1.

Two items still appear, one is the breadcrumbs which is allocated to breadcrumb location, but that seems to be somehow hardwired to template and not an output region I can turn off in template layout. So I have had to switch it off in Menu Assignment setting for affected pages and modules.

But I have a module allocated to Below position, and it appears in the page, even when I have clicked the eye icon to collapse the Below entry in the grid and clicked the hide options next to it in responsive settings.

I realise I can turn it off by disabling it in Menu Assignments as well, but I had hoped the allocation of the template to the menu item or article would have had the effect of disabling those positions on layout. Am I missing something, as it seems a bit kludgy to have to modify the Menu Assignments on each affected document.

Did some extra testing. If I allocate that module to one of the other grid items, such as Bottom 1 which is also turned off, then the module does not appear in the template with that position disabled. But it does when allocated to the Below position.

Is it something special about Below position I am missing - since in other positions all works as expected. For my purposes, that change of position fixes my immediate issue, but would like to learn if I am missing something, or if there is an issue with template.
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by James Clarkson. Reason: Did some extra testing, so more information available.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

The below is attached to the content area
Breadcrumbs are attached to the logo/header area

With the breadcrumbs I don't think it is anticipated that a user would disable it on pages other the home page

I will check on this later today with the developers and run some tests

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Also just to check with menu assignment is

"on all pages except those selected" an option?

This can be useful at times

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

Okay, so Above, AboveContent, Content, BelowContent and Below are all on and in the main content area. If that is correct, makes sense and clarifies my issue. So my use of one of the other grid locations solved the problem.

Thanks for prompt response. It wasn't too clear in the doco I found online.
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
On Breadcrumbs, I understand. My circumstance is that I use an iFrame link in a wrapper to use a form provided by a thirs party. There is an option on their form engine to redirect back to a page on my site, so that ends up inside the iFrame. With everything else turned off, works as required. I can live with the breadcrumbs on that - not a big deal, and I had assumed this was the answer I would get, just trying to make sure I hadn't missed something
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Yes, had found the Menu Assignment options, but was wanting to avoid having to turn that on or off on lots of modules in different places. I wish to use the exceptions sparingly and handle as much as possible through the template and css, more robust and less likely to break down the line.

But yes, that will work on the rare exceptions where breadcrumbs need to be off for the design I am chasing. Moving out of Below has solved my other problems, I have a clean template using consistent css, but with nav, menu, other things off.

All good now

Thanks so much for prompt response. Really like the product, just learning where the switches and levers are!
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
You're welcome :)

Good luck with the site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers