Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Filter Joomla articles

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello :)

I would like to filter/index Joomla articles via an alphabetical index (A, B, C, D, ...), I thought use the "Filter" option in Zentools2, do you think this is a good idea?

Since the search is based on tag articles, could there be any constraint for the SEO? Is there a risk to find alphabet letters in the search result?

Another thing: do you think it will be possible in a future version of Zentools2 to integrate custom fields?

Thank you for advices you can give me on this subject.

Lorenzo
  • Lorenzo
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Lorenzo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

The filter in zentools2 isn't really intended for that type of filtering I'm afraid

I think you would need more of a component for that

Regarding Custom fields - it is a broad area but we are working on supported text custom fields

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hello Paul,
you're right, I've dropped this type of filtering, I'll rather go to a filtering by categories/tags.

In this regard, I would have a feature request (still for filter display).

It would be nice to have:
- a pagination for displays with several articles.
- a filtering of categories/tags by dropdown menu in addition to “Buttons” “Separator” and “Navbar” options.

Try to imagine a page with 30 articles and 50 tags ....

Thank you

Lorenzo
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi Lorenzo,

It is something we will at in regard to pagination but we have quite a bit to get through before we see if it is viable

How would you manage the 50 tags? I can see pagination helping with the images but not sure how any pagination would work with 50 tags

How much you want to display them?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

... 30 article and 50 tags were just numbers as an example ;)

In any case it would be really appreciated to have a pagination for displays with several articles.
In my case I've 20 articles to display (...and this number will increase), 20 articles on a page, that's a lot for a desktop display, tries to scroll 20 articles on mobile devices, it’s just very annoying ...
The same argument is valid for filtering categories/tags via buttons, it’s annoying to align them on mobile screens (... and, esthetically speaking, it doesn't look very nice), so I thought that filtering them via a dropdown menu could be an alternative to other options, it was just an idea. :)

Thank you again

Lorenzo
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi Lorenzo,

Yes I take your point with regard to scrolling through on a phone

We would need to turn the module into a component and plugins to get the dropdown menu list working I think

Pagination is something we will look at

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers