Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

choose item url type

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello,
when displaying category items with Zentools v2, items url are built using category and article ids. And I would like only the article alias.

Details explained here: http://Example with explaination

Joomla 3.6.2
Zentools 2.2.6

Thank you in advance for your response.
  • Christian Harel
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 5 posts
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Christian Harel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

If you create a new menu and add the article the module is linking to do you get the same url?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,
Yes, if I create un new menu and displays the article in this new menu, the url will be different and use this new menu aliases.
But that is not what I want !!
I will have hundreds of articles...
  • Christian Harel
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 5 posts
Are you able to add a category link instead to a hidden menu?

I think the issue is relating to the itemid being generated by Joomla
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I tried the category link. The problem is the same: Zentools use the hidden menu aliases, and the breadcrumb is then different.

Everybody who uses Zentools must have this problem ?? No ?
  • Christian Harel
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Zentools does not create pages, it can only link to pages that already exist on your website.

This is the same for any module that displays and links to your site content. It is not specific to zentools.

To change the urls of your articles, you need to structure your menus so that you get the urls that you want.

If an article has either a direct menu item or there is an item to the articles parent category, the urls would be created from the menu item alias, or the menu item alias and the id and alias of the article.
If your article is not related to any menu items, Joomla will use the id and alias of the category and the id and alias of the article.

These menu items do not need to be in a hidden menu, they can also be in your main menu as child items of the items that you would like to see in the breadcrumbs (you can limit the number of levels that show in a menu in the menu module settings).
They could also be in a hidden menu as the child of another menu item of the type 'alias' which is an alias of the item you would like to see in the breadcrumbs.

Unfortunatly, the issue is with site structure and not something that zentools can fix.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi,
thank you very much Paul & Rob for your responses,
I will try like you say.
Regards,
Christian.
  • Christian Harel
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 5 posts
Thanks Christian

Best of luck

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I understand that what I want is impossible... having just the article id-alias after the logical breadcrumb when using Zentools, like it works with Joomla category menu item.

Can you please give me a few examples of websites using Zentools v2 ? I would like to see how others deal with this problem.

Thank you very much.
  • Christian Harel
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Just to clarify, zentools does not create urls, it just links to existing urls of articles.

You can look at the demo sites as examples, but the links are really down to your sites menu structure.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Not sure if this will assist for your specific circumstance ... but here goes

Goal: to create an article and control the URL
Create article and use a custom name not the J! auto generated name
Create a new menu - I call them blank - this menu doesn't appear anywhere as a menu. It's a list of links that can be used anywhere.
Create new menu items to link to specific articles using the custom URL option. The menu link name can be a descriptor and then the custom name becomes the url link

I also use this concept to provide links to articles for specific clients or markets.
I also have a QR code on my business card that links to current projects ... growthpointag.com.au/connect
Those pages don't get searched if they aren't publically linked.

Been using this since day 1 with J! as it get's around various foibles.
Hope that helps
  • Andrew
  • 12 Month basic
  • 509 posts
  • 20 Thanks
Thanks Andrew

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers