Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Different sizes of tiles in a category view

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi JB,

In a category view the items are showed with different sizes (see attachment)
Capture_2016-11-04.JPG

When the introtext of all the items is - let's say - 3 lines then it's ok, but that's not always possible. Is there anything I can do to change that?
Joomla version is 3.6.4, I use the tiles template for the view, enabled and disabled K2 plugins, used Leading or Primary, nothing helps. And so I wrote this ticket. Thanks in advance for your help.

Grtz,
Dick
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Dick,

Do you have a link?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

Check this one please: green-island.holiday/index.php/en/things-to-do-on-corfu

Grtz,
Dick
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
Have you tried adding min height to the blocks?

Does something like this work

.itemid-148 #zenkit .zenkit-itembody {min-height: 410px;}

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul, but I was looking for a more flexible solution in the settings of the category. Your code works, but when I want another view to show only the image of an item, or with a very short introtext, the items will all get a height of 410 px.
K2 works fine with a variable height though. is it an option to choose for the default category template and enable K2 plugins?

Grtz,
Dick
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
Hi Dick,

Was your other k2 view on the same page?

As the style I gave was linked to the itemid of this page e.g. its unique to this particular page

Its the height of the text being different on different items so its doesn't line up
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If you display a zentools2 module with equal height option that might give you more control rather than k2 content

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

I tried all of the ZT2 layouts, some of them are good, some of them ain't. But! It seems that there is a bug in all of them. When I click on one of the items to open it, the screen stays the same, although the breadcrumbs shows the name of the selected item. I selected link to item for the image and the title, but it seems to only refresh the screen.
What is the best layout for an overview of the items and to make it possible to open the selected item? I tried masonry, grid, filter, accordion, the whole bunch. they all have the same problem.

Sorry for bothering you all the time...

Grtz,
Dick
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
forgot to send a link: green-island.holiday/index.php/nl/vakantie-accommodatie01
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
Hi Dick,

With the module this is because there isn't a link on the system for the articles

If you create a blog link for the category on a hidden menu the module should then work

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I have several categories to show, that means a lot of work extra to create this hidden menu's. When it was only for a few articles I wouldn't mind, but not with this numbers of articles I have. The site is in two languages, so that would be a double amount of work.
I don't have that problem with the K2 overviews, so I have to choose for K2 unfortunately.

Cheers Paul, thanks for your effort.
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
Are you tied to a particular zenkit layout for the site?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I don't know exactly what you mean Paul? If I understand right, I would say no. I have the Responsive2 template, depending on that for a nice interface. If some generic changes have to be made, fine with me.
But, concerning this problem, I tried something else and it seems to work, although I don't know why. I created a ZT2 Filter template, gave it a specific position, created an article with a loadposition and instead of aiming to a category I selected this article in the menu-option. Didn't expect it to work, but it does, I can click the items and they are opened.
It's a bit of a detour, but so far so good.
Is there an option to build a hidden menu on base of a category? I tried by using ZT2 list template and it works, but you can't use it as a hidden menu unfortunately.

Grtz,
Dick
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
A hidden menu is for when a menu link doesn't exist for an article or its category - without those links any modules like zentools will reload the page page itemid when a content link is clicked in the module

The hidden menu could contain several blog category links and the zentools2 module would then work

Once a menu link exists the module will work as expected
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
In reference to this issue we do have a blog post from several years ago

blog.joomlabamboo.com/how-to-joomla/how-to-avoid-the-joomla-menu-itemid-issue
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I have a hidden menu, but i don't get the point of the explanation in the linked article:
Choose your new menu from the Menus dropdown and create a new item. If you're applying the itemid fix for articles select a type of "Category Layout" (Select link type > Articles > Category Blog). If your needing to fix the issue for a component select that component for the menu item type.
I can go to Link type, but there is nothing to select, no Articles > Category Blog, nothing but an image. What do i miss?
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
Hi Dick,

With the article it is referring to the menu type with k2 it would be a k2 category or k2 item for example

Itemid issue can affect different components, e.g.products from an e-commerce system can be an issue

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Ah, that's what it means. But this K2 category is a menu item, with three sub categories which are all children of this menu item. That's why i was surprised that it didn't work out.
Might the problem be that in the parent category are no items? All the items in K2 can only have one category, so they all get a subcategory only. With the Fetch children-option you will see them in the parent category though.
I think we better close this issue. It costed you a lot of time, me some aggrevation :woohoo: , that's enough.
Thanks again for your help Paul. I'm sure I will get back on support one day. I appreciate your help and understanding!

Grtz,
Dick
  • Dick Mulder
  • 12 Month basic
  • 90 posts
Thanks Dick

Best of luck with the site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dick Mulder

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers