Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Parallax in Chrome

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I'm trying to do a simple parallax effect using background-scroll: fixed. This works in Firefox, but not Chrome. This same method worked fine in a site we did using a t3-Framework template.

Works in Chrome: wasatchpeaks.com/ (T3 Template)
Does not work in Chrome (the Map section): 23.254.129.87/~dtatest (Responsive Template)

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • Troy Mumm
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 140 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Troy,

This is because of something called background visibility.
stackoverflow.com/questions/20268962/fixed-attachment-background-image-flicker-disappear-in-chrome-when-coupled-with

I think its fixed in the latest zentools2 - you will need to recompile less to css. Or if its in the template you need to find it and remove it and it should fix it.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony - I'm not actually ZenTools for this, but just adding CSS in Responsive Template.

I've been all over that StackExchange post, and have tried all those various suggestions, to no avail.

So, what am I looking for in the template to remove?
  • Troy Mumm
  • 140 posts
  • 3 Thanks
I would search and remove the visibility reference int he less files and the css to see fi that fixes it.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony. I coudn't find this. I've had quite a few Chrome issues with new Responsive Template, so it might be worth looking at that, but maybe its just me. Chrome seems to be the new IE for being difficult!
  • Troy Mumm
  • 140 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Troy,

I actually had a similar issue with the latest theme Im building and the solution was to remove the position:relative assigned to the div containing the image. I cant see that on your site though - can you confirm that you get the expected result when using the default Protostar template?

Regarding Chrome - I actually use it almost exclusively to develop in. What are the specific issues you see?
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony -

I've spent hours trying to get the background-scroll:fixed to work in Chrome on Responsive2. Though it seems like a Chrome bug, the exact same technique worked fine using the t3-Framework and T3-Blank template.

This site is live here: downtownslc.org/. On Firefox the parallax fixed background works fine (on the blue map section on homepage, as well as on K2 image on blog posts: downtownslc.org/component/k2/item/1450-parks-and-open-space)

Like I said, I tried all the various solutions presented on that StackExchange post, and finally just used a media query to change background-scroll on webkit only, but that doesn't make my client happy.

Just has taken so much time to get this to work right in Chrome, I almost considered rebuilding the whole thing using T3, and I may yet have to if my client gets picky about that eye candy.

Thanks for any other ideas.
  • Troy Mumm
  • 140 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Sorry we seem to have missed your reply

Just wanted to check if you still needed advice on this issue

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers