Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Move search to logo row, but keep expanding behavior?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Is it feasible (not requiring excessive effort) to move the Search module position out of the menu row and into the logo row, while still keeping the behavior shown for search when it is in the menu row (initially just a magnifying glass icon, when clicked expands to a form)?

A client is requesting this after they filled up the menu row with menu links, so there's not enough room left to keep the search position in the menu row. I tried to persuade them to just use a standard search form in the logo row, but they really like that expanding behavior as seen when search is part of the menu row.

I tried to solve this on my own, but I couldn't get it to work. I feel like this request may not be feasible, but I wanted to at least ask. I have already told the client what they are asking for here may be difficult to support because it doesn't match the intended design for this template.
  • porwig
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 143 posts
  • 4 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by porwig.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
I'm sorry on the delay on this one

I'm not sure to be honest how feasible this is

Anthony is currently away

I can check with Anthony when he is back - hopefully the weekend or monday next week

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: porwig
Thanks Paul.

To be clear, I don't think this request from my client is a good idea, but they see it differently and so I feel obligated to at least ask here.

From my point of view, it would be good to hear from Anthony, even if it's just a "sorry, this really wouldn't be an easy change to make". So if you wouldn't mind asking him, I would appreciate it.

I in the end, for this thread I just want to be able to let my client know that I asked, and that JB answered.
  • porwig
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 143 posts
  • 4 Thanks
Right will ask

If not heard by Tuesday give me a prod

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

I think it would be pretty easy but there may be some styling issues that you need to deal with.

The code itself just needs to be moved from tpls/blocks/menu.php
<div id="search" class="zg-col zg-col-<?php echo $this->layout->menu->positions->search;?>">
							<jdoc:include type="modules" name="search" style="zendefault" />
						</div>

And then pasted into the tpls/blocks/logo.php after the logo reference

eg
<div class="zen-container">
			[?php $this->getModules('logo');?]
		</div>

Perhaps if you do that and paste a link I can send some css to help the appearance.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony! I made the change you gave and the search form is now displaying in the logo row. Here's a link for the site:
http://ppacg.org/

Just to re-state the client's request, they would like the search in the logo row to behave the same way it did in the menu row: initial state is just to see the search icon, with the text field opening up after clicking on the search icon.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this.

Thanks again,

paul
  • porwig
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 143 posts
  • 4 Thanks
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay.
Ive been held up finishing the next theme. If you can create a ticket with ftp details I can make the changes for you.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
No worries, thanks for being willing to help with this Anthony!

I have created a ticket with ftp details. Please let me know if you have problems connecting or with anything else.

Thanks again!
  • porwig
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 143 posts
  • 4 Thanks
Thanks
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers