Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

updating/migrating from lifestyle to lifestyle 2 and Joomla3.0 core

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I am migrating a lifestyle template to a 2014 lifestyle 2 template while I migrate from Joomla 2.5 to 3.0 and doing it all at the same time. (www.campcedarbrook.net) a 200 page site and have a bought a third party migration extension (migrate me plus)

I had made my own hilite css in the original template. Do I do all the colors the new thememagic now? I also had an overlay color png on the last one, I assume I match the colors the best I can with theme magic now?

Any other suggestions ., I changed a lot of the css rules... Do I just find the custom css file and try to put in as much on the new one and see what takes?

Probably elementary questions, but this is my first migration.

I tried to do it yesterday, but no menus were showing up and I need to re-do it.

Thanks,
Rachel
  • rkimmel
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 93 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Rachel,

I would perhaps check out

www.siteground.com/tutorials/joomla-video/jooml25-to-joomla3/

I'm assuming you are doing this away from the main site and on some dev space?

Key thing is removing extensions/templates that aren't J3+ compatible before updatings
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Some styling you will be able to style using theme magic

Custom styling it depends really what you've been targetting - generic styling or specific modules will still work but css targetting the template div structure won't

I'd probably lean to not importing the css file and see how it looks and add back elements you think might work gradually
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
HI - yes, I am doing this in another folder other than the website itselt, I am finally getting back to the upgrade this morning. I am curious-- Do you mean I need to totally uninstall
the lifestyle template AND the zen plug framework before upgrading?

Does that mean All my content will come back when I install the new template and the t3 framework with lifestyle2? Sorry - I have never done this before.

Thanks,
Rachel
  • rkimmel
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 93 posts
Hi Rachel,

You would remove extensions, plugins, components and templates that aren't upgradable

The template controls the presentation of the content and doesn't affect the content itself
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by manh. Reason: lack of ability to type
So personally speaking yes I would un-install the template in the development site

switch template to a default Joomla one

and then upgrade to J3

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers