Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Main menu on tablet in horizontal position is not working

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi

I would perhaps suggest taking a copy of the site in the base3 via akeeba and then upload the akeeba file to a new folder and then working on the site there in newstream2

So you have two versions of the site one in base3 and one in newstream2

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Paul,
Is there a reason to worry about moving to Newstream2, esp. given my soft lauch deadline of this coming Tuesday?
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
While waiting for your feedback, I started uploading the three zip files needed for Newstream2: template, Zenkit... got this Abort message for Zenkit:
Zenkit - Responsive templates for K2
You need to have K2 installed to finish the installation. Aborting...

Newstream REQUIRES K2 to be used?
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
I've not had chance to speak to either Rob or Anthony on this issue today due to different time zones and sleep pattens

It is a big step to move templates at this late a date - I would want to have a backup plan if you decided to move to Newstream2 and for whatever reason it didn't work out

It is a quick process to take a backup via Akeeba and install it together with a kickstart file to a different disk space

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Zenkit is a collection of k2 templates so for it to install it needs k2 to be installed first
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
At this late date, I am also worried about changing the file directory path for the developing site. Yes, I'd really, really rather not change templates, but I need this one to work so I don't have to worry about a bad user experience as I launch the new site.

I will wait, then, and hope that Rob and Anthony can fix the issue today. I have provided Joomla Access to them, via your ticket system, and I did make an Akeeba backup.

Thanks,
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
Getting back to Newstream2 and K2 and your reply, I have not had a good K2 experience in the past. Is the USE of K2 required for Newstream2? And if it isn't, then having to load K2 and NOT use it seems like a lot of file overload for no use.

Please advise,
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
I will talk to either Rob or Anthony as soon as they are online
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
K2 isn't required for Newstream2 as it works fine with joomla articles

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
So, if I do NOT instend to use K2 (if I do move to Newstream2), I would just not install Zenkit then? Would Newstream2 work without Zenkit, though?
tmsr
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
Yes it wouldn't need zenkit if you decided to not use k2 - it would work fine

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Allow me to share my experience in changing the templates:
- I am using K2, but Newstream2 works very well without (see comment below).
- The change of template was made on our test server, using Akeeba to copy the live site and kick-start to install it on the test-server. My recommendation: Don't use any other method!
- The I installed the Newstream2 template, configured the layouts as per Base3 (am using three different ones) and copied the colour scheme and I was good to go.
- I had a list of 5 snags, that I tabled at 8:18 AM and the ticket was responded to and four issues were resolved by 9:46
- I had some other smaller matters and they got sorted out by the following day (11:09)
- We took the site live, which caused some specific issues related to our server configuration and some legacy issues (the site goes back to J1.1 days) that needed additional css.
- There were some other minor issues that were resolved as and when we came across it.
The ticket was closed after 20 days .. however, it only took three days to change the site and copy it back to the live site.
- Newstream2 has some specific features (tabs or bottom module configurations), that we took advantage of or wrote css to off-set them. No problems.

Without K2: I have subsequently got a Newstream2 (Joomla, only) site going .. am still populating it with content .. we took the demo live in less than two days, from scratch (Joomla and template) .. and no support needed.

What you have to decide: The horizontal menu problem seems to be specific to Nexus 7 and Chrome. Because I use one, I wanted to change it ... even though the site stats show that the percentage of android tablet users is relatively small. - I also liked the feel for Newstream2. We are using it in a combination of a one-page front page and a conventional site structure that sits behind it.

Regards,
Philipp
  • SteinerPDP
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 397 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Thanks Philipp for taking the time to post :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi tmsr

Can I just check you saw Rob's comment in the ticket?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
1. Yes, Philipp, thank you for the detailed help!
2. I just checked Rob's comment. He'd like me to update to a newer T3 version but there is an even newer version available (2.4.0) so I am asking him about this.
Thanks,
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
I've just updated the thread in the ticket

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Good luck .. am leaving this thread now.
  • SteinerPDP
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 397 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Thanks for chipping in - enjoy your weekend :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,

Has anyone found a solution to this. We have a megamenu not working on a Samsung Galaxy S3. The Joomla standard menu works ok.

Our problem is on the NewLifestyle template (with hikashop).

We are going to look at some alternatives to the set up, but if someone has found an obvious solution, that would be best.

I noticed there was some discussion on the T3 forum about similar issues centering on Android tablets and the menu not working, but could not find any obvious answer there.

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
do you have a link for the site?

And do you have a link for the T3 forum page?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers