Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Zentools duplicates menu item

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I wanted a 'blog' look for a page, and decided to use Zentools 'list'.
I created the module, and set it to a unique position (called blogposition)
I created a Joomla article, and used {loadposition blogposition} to insert it in the main area.
I then created a menu item as 'Single article' and selected the article that contained the {loadposition..}.
All good, but...
When clicking on an article in the blog, it goes to that article, but, it also creates a duplicate menu item in breadcrumbs
See here http://fgv.com.au/promotions/pear-promotions-2014
Now click on any "More..." button
Now look at the breadcrumb - it's duplicated a menu item
Now click on the duplicate (the second 'Pear promo 2014') and it takes you to a 'normal' Joomla category list!

Have I done something wrong?
Any help, greatly appreciated.

Regards, Nick
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
There is another issue using this technique to create a 'blog' - you can't add more articles to the blog from the front-end (which I need to do)
Am I'm missing something, or going about this the wrong way?

Nick
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
With the first issue if you create a link for the category in a hidden menu

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks, that helped. But clicking on the breadcrumb still takes us to the default Joomla list.
That raises the question (perhaps for another forum?) How to style the default joomla list to look like a zentools list. Is that possible via one of your templates, perhaps with custom css?
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
ah yes that would be the expected behaviour

you could style it similarly - it would be custom.css you would to use

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I just had a thought, (unfortunately too late to test on a live Joomla 3.x site).
When in category manager ->Options->Alternative layout, there is a dropdown that has options:
"Use Global" (that I am using), but also
"From component"->blog
"From component"->list
If I chose "list" would that refer me to the Zentools list? If not, is there a way - because the Zentools list is awesome for creating blogs!
I ask because if using K2 there is an option in Edit category->"Category item layout"->select template->blog (plus other Zenkit defaults). I am using this on another site and it works perfectly.
This begs another question: If I want to implement a blog style, should I install K2 which obviously works well with Zenkit for the blog, but leave the rest of the site to Joomla 3.x articles (not enter them as K2 items)?
Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
Nick
  • NickMo
  • 12 Month basic
  • 331 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The list would be the joomla list not zentools

Zentools doesn't have blogging capabilities like commenting

You can certainly use k2 for the blog elements together with k2 - I've done that myself - it does provide separation for users so they don't break core article content when doing blog content

You just need to make sure the user doesn't need to change any settings as they are lots of settings and the user will get confused if they need to change any

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers