Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Some comments and 1 question: JB maps in Articles

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello All

Fresh user of your Newlifestyle template, I ended up with a decent site (in my view) though I wanted to let you know that the lack of a "real" documentation is a true drawback for me.

As a less than average Joomla user I found it very hard to locate "where is what" in the template when I tried to customize it, as none of the module positions/name were documented.
For example, nowhere was an indication that the background image of the "Keep Up to date" section at the bottom of the Home page was in fact located deep inside a field in the template extension menu (considering the slideshow above that looked the same was in a slideshow module)! I spent hours trying to find where this image was supposed to be loaded...

All in all I achieved to get some result, but mostly by a painful (and time consuming) "trial and error" process and the customization of the site looked somehow for me to a "Where is Charlie in this template?" game.

May I suggest that you just add to your template documentaion some screen captures of the main an subsequent pages(of your demo site) with the layout overlayed, stating each position and module name?
That way, one could easily spot that "grid1" and "grid13" are in fact one above the other for example, and that the popup menu that comes when you click on the "more" menu item is located in the panel1 position (Btw had a hard time to find it, this one) ...

Not to be misunderstood:
Your templates are visually very attractive and I especially like the Responsive features, but I wished the install and customization process was more straightforward!

Now for my question:
I downloaded and tried to install the JBmaps2 module in my site. No way to get it displayed in the middle of a standard article (like you did in your demo site), I had to assign it to a separate position (i.e "below"), with a less than desirable effect, as the map is way below the article by itself. Is there a way to embed this module in the article content?

Thanks in advance

Jacques
(Sorry for my sloppy English, I 'm French!)
  • JAYA SARASWATI
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 2 posts
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by JAYA SARASWATI.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your feedback - I will pass it on and we will discuss your comments

If you get stuck again on something like this setting / configuration wise please ask us for help :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Moving on to the map - this is done using the jooml core plugin called

loadposition

this is the syntax

{loadposition yourpositionname}

you add the text like in the curly brackets (including the position name you typed in the position box when creating the map module) to the article

Set the map module to show in all pages and that will then display in the article
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
loadposition is a great bit of code and I use it all the time and we use it in every template we produce

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks a lot Paul!

Thanks also for the very informative links!

I learned that way that the "position" term can be anything, preferably a custom name, as I was confused to which predefined position I should affect the JBMaps module to.

Before I read your answer I had found a solution with the "Module in Article" plugin (or module ?...never mind) which is doing basically the same you described, without knowing that the trick was already built-in in Joomla.....

Still a long way to get into the intricacies of Joomla for me, I guess...
I'm still a little bit confused with the plugin vs module vs extension vs article logic of Joomla.
Talking about the documentation, I'll be more than happy to help you setup some sort of "joomlabamboo template XXXX for Dummies", as I think that would help you get more clients like me, who are attracted by your sleek templates, but are lost in the basic install and customization.

Thanks again for your support, which makes your site very invaluable.

Jacques
  • JAYA SARASWATI
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 2 posts
"Before I read your answer I had found a solution with the "Module in Article" plugin (or module ?...never mind) which is doing basically the same you described, without knowing that the trick was already built-in in Joomla....."

yep pretty much the same thing but from memory a couple of additions
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
With this link

docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_put_a_module_inside_an_article%3F

Modules within Modules is also very useful and I use that option quite frequently
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks very much regarding your offer

I will again pass on the thread details to the site owner

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers