Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

J2.5 QuickStart needed

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello,

is it possible to get a J2.5 Quickstart package for NewLifeStyle? :dry:

Customer wants J2.5 version ( as other websites are also 2.5 ) an likes to have a QuickStart Package.
  • Tom
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 132 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Are they aware about the impending end of life of 2.5?

It will probably save them money building in J3+

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul, thanks for your answer.

Yes I am indeed, however the customer insist on J2.5.
The reason is that the only want to use ;ong term releases and no short term releases. ( Which I can understand ).

And there is no J3.5 yet, hence my question.

Is it possible?
  • Tom
  • 132 posts
At the moment we don't have a 2.5 version I'm afraid

This was partly due to the change in response to the scrapping of the Long Term Release / Short Term Release

developer.joomla.org/news/587-faq-s-for-joomla-s-improved-release-cycle.html

Although it is confusing regarding out of date Joomla.org documentation
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
From the doc

Q: Will 3.5 be the LTS release for the 3.x series?

A: No. The strategies have been modified to not lock in a specific release as the LTS release of a series. Under the revised strategy, unless superseded with a newer minor release, there will be at least two years of support for the last minor release of a series. The concept of an LTS release is being eliminated in favor of this. For example, if 3.4 were to be the final minor release of the 3.x series, it would be supported for at least two years after its release.

Q: Why discontinue the X.5 LTS strategy?

A: The X.5 LTS strategy prevents the PLT from issuing additional releases on a major release series. If 3.5 were to be the LTS for the 3.x series as previously planned, then any feature proposals or enhancements to the 3.x series would not be able to be merged until development started on 4.0. Now, it is possible to continue development on the 3.x series without locking into a specific release as the LTS release, which enables a longer support period for the 3.x series overall.

Q. So, there's no more LTS right?

A. Correct. The concept of there being an LTS is being deprecated in favor of supporting the last release in a series for 2 years.
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If the client still wants a 2.5 site after above (which I think is a mistake) please let us know

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Paul,

thanks for your extended answer.

Due to my workload i even was not completly aware of Joomla policy change. It must have slipped my attention.

After reading your information, I will discuss this with customer, but I fully agree with you.

I certainly will let you know the outcome of discussion but I will focus on J3.x implementation..

Thnx again.
  • Tom
  • 132 posts
No problem

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers