Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Template Assignment - New Lifestyle - Quickstart

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Good Morning from Canada's West Coast!!

I have just installed New Lifestyle using MAMP on my laptop. I am trying to compare this with the new project I am working on.

The first think I usually do after creating some articles and menus is to see how the Template is being used and I access the template manager in the MAMP Quickstart version.

In this version, there are two versions of the template to be found in the template manager as follows:

The New Lifestyle - Front Page and the New Lifestyle - Sub Page. The New Lifestyle - Sub page has been designated as the default template... and, the New Lifestyle - Front Page is shown as 'Assigned'...

In the Template Manager Edit Style, and the assignment menu item reveals that this 'style' is not attached to any menu...

My question is, why is this template there? Does it just supply a framework? Surely it must have a task. Please try to explain this for a puzzled member of JoomlaBamboo!!

The New Lifestyle - Front Page is assigned to the HOME menu only!!
I don't get it!
T

Cheers,
Tony
  • Tony Shaw
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1908 posts
  • 9 Thanks
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Tony Shaw. Reason: additional information... added
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Home layout with this template has some differences from the default layout

"Home" has tabs and other positions available while default layout does not.

The default template style doesn't need to be assigned to any page as it will be the default template style unless a different layout is assigned to that particular page
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul:

Do I need to activate tabs in the Front Page or do I de-activate them in the other...?

Cheers,
Tony

I will try to figure this out as I wait for your response!
T
  • Tony Shaw
  • 1908 posts
  • 9 Thanks
With a template you can have multiple versions of it at the same time - these are called "template styles"

If you look at the page in the admin that you use to assign templates as the default, it is actually called "Template styles"

this gives a developer flexibility to assign different template styles or versions where ever they want

- although commonly you may a template style/version for the front page and then a default style everywhere else

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The tabs layout is only available on the home layout at the moment

To publish to the home page chose tabs position and publish to the home page - not a 100% sure I'm following

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul:

Yes, you have enlightened me! I have just looked that the Layout for each of these Styles and it now makes sense... It is great to be able to do this and make a template that can be customized from the basic.

Tony
  • Tony Shaw
  • 1908 posts
  • 9 Thanks
I personally find template styles a bit misleading so I think of it as template versions :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul:

Language can be everything! I tend to agree... it has been a confusing issue. I always read the documentation (somewhat quickly) but not always complete for me!

Its better now I know the meaning and intent of the terminology! :huh:
  • Tony Shaw
  • 1908 posts
  • 9 Thanks
No problem :)

As lot of documentation to read :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers