Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Using lots of pictures in zentools grid on home page

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I decided to use the grid on the home page, and told it to load 30 items from all categories, which looks great.

This raises a question though:

Most of my images are about 90 - 140kb. If i'm loading 30 on the home page is that going to slow the loading of the site to a crawl. It seemed to, but now it's looking like my hosts server was on heavy load at the time (shared server - although host is a good one).

<<EDIT>>

Here's the home page at the moment. I've taken it down to 12 images for the moment, until I hear back from someone on these forums.

www.bcmsteeplejacks.co.uk/joomla/
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Last Edit: 10 years 11 months ago by ntp.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi there,

Any increase in images is going to increase the time taken to load a site so its always a trade-off.

Zentools does resize your images and cache the smaller size images so the load wont be the 90-140kb of the original. I did a quick check and the images in the grid on your site are around the 15kb mark.

My suggestion would be to run some tests using a site like www.webpagetest.org/ using the different configurations and see if its yeilds very different results.

Cheers
Rowan
  • rowanwins
  • 12 Month basic
  • 189 posts
  • 17 Thanks
rowanwins wrote:
Hi there,

Any increase in images is going to increase the time taken to load a site so its always a trade-off.

Zentools does resize your images and cache the smaller size images so the load wont be the 90-140kb of the original. I did a quick check and the images in the grid on your site are around the 15kb mark.

My suggestion would be to run some tests using a site like www.webpagetest.org/ using the different configurations and see if its yeilds very different results.

Cheers
Rowan

I should have thought to view the image info for the thumbnails. I see what you mean. File size is neglible. The shared server must have been heavily loaded with somebody elses site I think.
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Hi

I checked your site and I must say given your site size is loading fast. Please, understand that your site has 2.8MB!!! And recommended size is under 1MB.
  • Zuzuzu
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1925 posts
  • 107 Thanks
What specifically is 2.8meg. The database size?

Can't be images as they add up to a lot more than that?
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Nope, 2.8MB is size of this page: www.bcmsteeplejacks.co.uk/joomla/

So when I want to open it I have to download 2.8MB
  • Zuzuzu
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1925 posts
  • 107 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers