Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Grid 3 success finally, but how to get rid of the box.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

YES YES YES :P - finally created a working page with a layout i'm happy enough with. I should be able to struggle on from here and complete the website now. What a struggle this has been :ohmy:

There's a box at the bottom and I do not know how to get rid of it. Somebody told me how to do this before but I didn't understand the answer.

You'll see it on the page here - www.bcmsteeplejacks.co.uk/joomla/index.php/case-studies/earlston-suspension-bridge#
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi,

You want the page to show with only modules and no content so you need to assign a template which is using the 'home' layout to that page which hides the main component.

More here: docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-templates/arcadia-documentation#n4

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
robwent wrote:
Hi,

You want the page to show with only modules and no content so you need to assign a template which is using the 'home' layout to that page which hides the main component.

More here: docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-templates/arcadia-documentation#n4

Regards,

Rob

I don't seem to have the home layout. Here is the list from my template / styles page:

Beez3 - Default Site Beez3 4
Grid3 - Default Site Grid3 25
Hathor - Default Administrator Hathor 5
isis - Default Administrator Isis 8
protostar - Default Site Protostar 7
t3_blank - Default Site T3_blank 23
zenbase - Default Site Zenbase 20
zenbase - Home

I remember on zenbase I had home and default.

Anyway, maybe I should move my content to that component. I've been putting everything into the banner area.

How do i put stuff into that component? It's not a module is it?
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Hi,

You need to duplicate the grid3 template then call it something like grid3-home and then change the layout to home in the layout tab and then assign it to that page.

regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
The 'component' is your joomla article k2 item or whatever content your menu item is pointing to.

If your menu item is to an article then the component area will show the article.

The home layout is just a way of hiding it on certain pages. The reason it is called home is because that is the most common place to use it. Most other pages generally have some information that you want to give to the reader.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
robwent wrote:
The 'component' is your joomla article k2 item or whatever content your menu item is pointing to.

If your menu item is to an article then the component area will show the article.

The home layout is just a way of hiding it on certain pages. The reason it is called home is because that is the most common place to use it. Most other pages generally have some information that you want to give to the reader.

It's on every page and I've made lots of attempts to find out where it comes from. How can I find out which menu is creating it? And can I get rid of it. Or should I be putting content in there instead of banner?

Sorry - confused again ..............
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Right, now I get it. The main component is where an article goes. If you haven't published an article to the page then it's just a white box.
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Hi,

I am confused now.

So in your site you have no articles and have added all content into modules?

How have you created your menus? Usually you cannot link to an article unless it contains some content (you cannot save the article) so what type are your menu items?

Your page content should be in an article which you then link to with a menu item. This is the standard way of creating a site with joomla.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Exactly!
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Every page is linked to a menu. I have been reading about joomla a lot as well as all my posts here, so I created menus for the lot.

But my case studies and services pages just have a zen tools module inserted into the banner area, so I was seeing the main component underneath (finally I understand what the main component is). I realised that if I created some article text for the pages (which they needed anyway) and set the module to display in the belowcontent area, then I'd get my introduction article text above.

I was so confused and then the penny dropped :-)
  • ntp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Great to hear you found your way to understand Joomla menu setting up process.
  • Zuzuzu
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1925 posts
  • 107 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers