Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Newbie question on Module Positions

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have a couple of questions about the "Module Positions" diagram associated with your templates:

* What does it mean when a position includes "Split Menu"? That is clearly not the name of the position. Does it mean that any menu located there will be "split"?

* What does the asterisk which follows "logo" mean? All mentions of Logo seem to be followed by *. Does it just mean that there is something about logos in the "Important notes" at the bottom?

* Logo does appear to be a valid position in the template (it appears in Joomla as a valid position). But the word logo appears in more than one position - so which position is chosen when I choose "logo" as the position in Joomla. What do the other occurences of "logo" mean?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but they aren't obvious to me!
  • camerojo
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 4 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hello!

This is correct it as to do with menu style you choose.
  • lafrance
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 24 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Thanks Pierre.

And just to add to that - the areas on the diagram that say Split Menu refer to areas that sub menu items from the main menu can be output.

So in the template admin under menus > split menu you can determine which split menu areas int he template are active. eg left, right, above etc. And you can control which child items int he top menu will be displayed on the page.

Hope that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks for the answer on Split Menu - I understand that now.

What do all the different positions marked as "logo" mean? When I specify logo as the position, where does it go?
  • camerojo
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 4 posts
You can put the logo in any module positon :)

If required you can set the logo in the templates settings to none and then position a module with a image or text in

However in vast majority of case you will be using the template/framework settings

If you open up the newer templates you will see the options in a drop down list

logo_2012-11-12.jpg

Where you select is where the logo will be positioned

Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I see - so the different locations in Module Positions marked as "logo", correspond to the various choices in the drop down Logo Position. That makes sense.

I have two suggestions for your doc then:

1. It would be good to explain the above in the "Important Notes" at the bottom of the Module Positions diagram.

2. Your drop down Logo choices still refer to "nav" which is a term which you no longer seem to use in the newer templates. That is a bit confusing. Maybe it would be better to refer to the "menu row" - which seems to be what was previously referred to as the "nav row"

Thanks for your explanations. I know it must be difficult managing the transition to the new framework.
  • camerojo
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our documentations. I am sure our docs stuff will take them into account
  • mihha
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 711 posts
  • 44 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers