Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Menu not working with sef's

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi, I created a site on the basis of the Zen Grid Framework. It is now live here: www.baltzersciencepublishers.com/ .
Now when I activate SEF's in the backend, and have renamed the htaccess file to .htaccess, the menu on the left side, does not fold out anymore when I click 'products'. Also, another link, 'authors' just suddenly gives me a 404 error. Any idea what might be the matter here?
Thanks,
Jelmar
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Jelmar,

did you make any changes to .htaccess, or is it just the default version? Did you enable the mod_rewrite option in the configuration too?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hi Seth, It's just the default. And I did turn on mod_rewrite. I tested it: when I turn on mod_rewrite, the site keeps functioning. Then turning on SEF's produces the issue above.
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
Sounds like you may be missing the .htaccess file Jelmar. Make sure it is renamed correctly with no extension and also verify whether you are setting 'Use Apache mod_rewrite' to yes.

If that still fails to work then check once with your host about your server configuration and if .htaccess files should work for you or if they need to configure it.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hi Jason,
Thanks.
I have checked with the host. Server config is as it should be, SEF's work on my other sites as well, which are on the same one.

Also checked again and again whether I had properly renamed the htaccess file, and this is also all good.

Then checked whether the htaccess file was diffeternt in any way from normal htaccess file, and I see no difference.

Any other ideas? Think I'll open a ticket.
Blessings,
Jelmar
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
Hi Jelmar,

Sorry, I don't think we can help you any more than we have already. This is clearly not a template related issue, but an issue with either your server setup or your .htaccess file.

If you have any 3rd party SEF component you should look there first.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hi Seth,
Thanks for your answer. As described above I have checked and ruled out that it is related to server or .htaccess, at least as far as I can see. And the main problem is with the menu, which IS a template issue.

Blessings,
Jelmar
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
Hey Jelmar,

Ill take a look at the ticket in a minute but can you confirm that the behaviour doesnt occur with one of the default templates like purity?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
Did the test with purity, and same problem shows up under there. Could it be something with the way that the modules are set up? Some links work fine while others get the 404?
And I don't know it the menu is even supposed to fold out under 'purity.'
Any insight would be of great help here.
Thanks,
Jelmar.
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
Hi Jelmar,

When the problem occurs with another template, it is definately not an issue with the template. The only things, that I can think of, that it could be are:

3rd party SEF component
.htaccess file
configuration.php ($live_site)

Again, there is not really much more we can do to help you with this one. Sorry.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hi Seth,
Thank you. I feel a bit stuck somehow between my host on the one hand, and my template maker on the other, and am finding it difficult how to proceed.
It is probably something simple. But I have really ruled out all the things you said.
I dont use 3rd party sef, have correctly named and not changed the .htaccess and also checked the livesite settin in the configiration file.
hmm.
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
Hey there,

I just responded to your ticket.

Let me know if that helps. I dont think its a template or a server issue :) Its more to do with the way the menu items and J are set up but can also be as simple as cleaning the Joomla caches - tools > clean cache.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
This issue is now solved: I never did figure it out, but installed JoomACE SEF plugin. Works great.
  • fluxus
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 204 posts
B) Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know Jelmar.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers