Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

IE Rendering Issue

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi there, I'm using the Default Zen Grid template to build a simple website for a small arts venue.

I have encountered two problems with the way my site is rendering in Internet Explorer 6-8 that I have been unable to resolve after many hours of trouble shooting.

1. When viewed in IE browsers, the site hugs the left edge of the screen. It should be centred (and is when viewed in Safari or Firefox). This is so despite my specifically choosing "center" alignment in the template options.

2. The "Welcome to the Old Fire Hall" intro message (a module in the Advert1 position) and the "Elmer Burchette in Concert" message (article displaying on front page only) are being artificially pushed down to the bottom of the page when the site is viewed in IE. You can view what it is supposed to look like in Firefox or Safari.

Have others encountered problems with the way the site renders in IE browsers?

Thank you!
Matthew Koop-Pearce
Attachments:
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi there,

Do you have a link? Generally when ie6 hugs the left side of the window its due to a validation error so its easier to tell via a link for that one.

2. Same as above for that one.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Sure thing. Here's the link:

yukonartscentre.com/oldfirehall

Thanks.
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Hi there,

Looks like its related to validation errors:

validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fyukonartscentre.com%2Foldfirehall%2F

If you check the source you have some odd code outputting there. This doesn't happen in the default template so its worth checking any plugins etc that you may have installed.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony, I took a look at the Markup Validation errors you pointed out and then reviewed the extensions I have installed to see if the problem might be there. I still can't seem to figure out what the issue is.

My site makes use of two extensions: JSNImageShow component and the KC Cufon font plugin.

Do you have any other suggestion?

yukonartscentre.com/oldfirehall/administrator

username: xxxx
password: xxxx
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Seth. Reason: remove admin credentials
Hi Matthew,

I just edited your post to remove your admin credentials, it is really not safe to post them online.

You should first try just disabling those extensions and seeing if that resolves the validation errors.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
wow, how incredibly thoughtless of me. Thank you. I'll do this and check back.
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
OK Matthew, just let us know when you do.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hello. I took a close look at my extensions and deleted some old extraneous ones that I had installed ages ago and forgot about. What remains are only the two extensions that are necessary for my site, and I disabled those.

I ran the validation checker and there are still errors but now only 20 instead of the original 32. The site still displays incorrectly in IE browsers, with the center content areas being pushed down and the whole site oriented to the left side of the screen.
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Looks like you are using mod_pagespeed on the server. I would disable that first, I think it is probably the source of your issues ;)
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Can you tell me where on my server I will find mod_pagespeed?
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
It is an Apache module, so you would need to speak to the server administrator I guess, unless you can disable it from your domain control panel?

Do you have any other compression plugins installed in Joomla perhaps?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
It is unlikely I have installed any other compression plugin in Joomla, but I will double check.

Unfortunately the server administrator we have is a bit dense and doesn't know the first thing about backend stuff. I highly doubt he would have known to install the mod_pagespeed. Is it possible that the module was bundled with something? The administrator recently updated our main yukonartscentre.com site with some fancy new flash slideshow feature... I presume using some plug and play code snippet he found online. Perhaps the module was bundled with this?

The reason I am wondering is because if I do locate and delete this module, I don't want other sites on the sever to be affected.

One more thing, what is it about the module that leads you to think it might be responsible for the display problems I am encountering in IE?

Thank you for all your help.
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Hi there,

Im still seeing some odd markup being added to the top of the page. Ill take a look in your ticket to see if I can see anything.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Great. I'm continuing to trouble shoot myself with what limited knowledge I have.
  • mgcarreau
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
All sorted in the ticket :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers