Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Duplicating a zen template

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I am looking to make altered versions of my zen template for various sections of my website.

Usually i would copy a template folder, rename the folder, make the css alterations and assign to the menu items but this doesn't work for the zen templates? and it def wouldn't work for the zen 1.1 framework.

Any suggestions?

as an aside is there any way to actually assign a template to a section, or is that asking too much too soon?
  • padraig.osullivan
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 19 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hey there,

You should just be able to duplicate the template. We do that all the time on the demo sites.

Its really just as you say.

1. Duplicate
2. Rename the folder.
3. You can but dont have to rename the template in the templateDetails.xml as well.

As far as assigning to a section I guess it still has to be via menu items so if you have the menu hierarchy setup well then it should just naturally get assigned to the sub categories etc.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Apologies, mistake i believe was that i had a space in the folder name
  • padraig.osullivan
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 19 posts
Glad to hear that you got this sorted out. Please let us know how else we can assist moving forward.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Actually, now that all the templates have been updated to Zen grid v1.1 i have started to use these.

However a slightly different problem came up.
I copied the jbrasa template and renamed it, but when i enter a renamed folder i the language file does not seem to load.

All I get in the template parameters are ZENLOGOTYPE, ZENLOGOCLASS etc
Attachments:
  • padraig.osullivan
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 19 posts
Yes you need to duplicate the administrator/language/en-GB/ language file thats attached to the template and rename it to the folder you renamed the template too.

I kind of wished template language strings were picked up globally but they aren't unfortunately.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers