Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Download mod or comp and image magnify

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Guys

I norm use rocket theme downloads component, (I choose this when I first got into web design as I did not know how to just upload a pdf to the server and recall that info) ...can you recommend another way for doc downloads.

or

Do you think just putting the PDF on the server for download is better and quicker? Is this safe?

The only site I have used this, I added another directory like ... wxw.mysite.co.uk/pdf then put the pdfs in the pdf folder with a 755 permission is that correct?

Also I would like large images that can be shown when someone clicks on a thumbnail that is shown randomilly in a article. Before on the site I used a plugin called mavic thumbnails!

Do Joomla bamboo have a extension or know of one that can enlarge images in situ.

regards pete
  • Peter haken
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 324 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Peter haken. Reason: adding more text
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Peter,

Rokdownloads is certainly a nice way to present download items, but it needn't be so complicated. Yes, you can just put the file on the server and link straight to it from within an article.

It is not really set up to do that, but I have previously used PrettyBox to do just that by manually entering the correct image rel tag for an item and linking a thumb to a larger image. You could also use bamboo box to open thumbnails in pop-ups.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hi Seth

I am using just text links to pdfs on server much quicker.

regards image pop ups

see here www.3clicksold.co.uk/smrxypex/technical these images need to be able to pop up larger as attached
picture-01.jpg

How can I do this, I looked at pretty box and bamboo box but i can not work out how to add pop up image unless they go all together above or below the article text in a module. I need to have them in situ as they are.

How can i do this?

Thanks
  • Peter haken
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 324 posts
Hi Peter,

You just need to use the loadposition method to place the module within your article:

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/tutorials/using-the-loadposition-plugin-in-joomla
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Ah wicked will try that out later

many thanks Seth
  • Peter haken
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 324 posts
If you're using JCE you can just upload the pdf through the media manager and link to it in the article with jce.

www.alledia.com/blog/joomla-tutorials/5-useful-jce-features-that-people-miss/
  • jjohnston
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 139 posts
Hi Guys

Both great ideas and I can see the benefits but I think it would work better if the thumbnail just opened in a lightbox.

have a look now I have used the JCE method on www.3clicksold.co.uk/smrxypex/technical second image on the right, it opens in a new window in firefox, would be better in the same page but as a pop up lightbox.

or am I missing something!
  • Peter haken
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 324 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Peter haken.
Sorry Peter, I have never used the JCE method so can't help you there. I should check that you have any required plugins active...
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hi Seth

I have JCE working properly.

The thumbnails are working by click on them and it opens a PDF in a new window.

BUT

Really it would be better is they just opened in a lightbox! I wondered if I could use bamboo extension so the whole site is in one house rather than using a rockettheme extension like rok stories.
  • Peter haken
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 324 posts
Hi Peter,

Can't JCE Mediabox open them in a lightbox? I thought that was the point.

It's one or the other, you can't have JCE Mediabox and Bamboobox handling the same links.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Ah never used JCE mediabox

just downloaded free and works a treat

many thanks
  • Peter haken
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 324 posts
B) Sorry for the misunderstanding, I assumed that was what you were using already.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers