Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Image display/order question

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Couple of questions, as you know I'm porting and existing site to joomla, this is why I'm trying to get the exact dimension correct for menu, article row, etc..

I have published an image at the top of my website using in my theme.css - zen default, blank template
.logoRow {background: url(../../images/top-header-bg.png)no-repeat top center }
.logoRow .containerBG {height:75px}
NOTE: the above image does not show up in ie 8, the background shows instead - I'm working on it :)

What Im trying to do is also add 4 smaller images on top of that without creating another div, can I do that, I know its possible with another div.

Also, I have added some images, and it has caused me to have a horizontal slide at the bottom of my browser, what would cause that ?

I am also trying to overide the left col, and or the left menu position, but it seems to be tied to the template settings, is there a way to overirde this ?
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 7 months ago by tornado.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Tornado,

You could just put the 4 images into a custom html module and then publish that above your header image.

Horizontal slide could be because there are too many columns (or more than required) assigned a module position that you are using. Hard to say without seeing it.

How do you want to override the left col exactly? Are you using the left position at all?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Seth,

I will work on your suggestions above..

I have published a menu to the left module position, that is what Im trying to override, the port site has the menu width set to 198px, the article area or center to 600px and a ad to the right at 190px

Here's a link "NOT ALLWAYS AVAILABLE" my local system 217.146.242.76/zen/

and the site I'm porting www.rentodessatoday.com
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
You could just increase the width of the left column in the template settings, but only by assigning additional columns. If you need to be pixel specific and must have the exact dimensions, you could simply set them in a layout override.

Copy zengridframework/assets/layout/main.php to zendefault/layout modify the width assignments there, so instead of being calculated dynamically they are fixed, and then make sure it is enabled in the template settings. That should work...

The site looks like it is coming along nicely! :)
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Thanks as always Seth,

I will work on it, but I do not appaer to have the directory..

Ok, I installed zengridframework, and will go from there
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
zendefault/layout?

Just create it.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
I have only templates/zengrid and under that -
accordian
css
html
images
js
style
superfish

main.php does not exsist, unless I install zengridframework

all my work so far has been done in style/blank

The Zen Grid template is a base skeleton template for you to build your joomla theme with.

HEHEHE, now I'm confused :)
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Gotcha!

Sorry, I thouht you were using the Zen Grid Framework.

For the original Zen Grid template, you can just adjust the width logic in index.php I think. Just search for the module position names and fix the width there.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Okay, thats what I thought... thanks again

It's alot of fun learning, I just want to learn the right way the first time, first time learned mistakes are the hardest to get rid of..

Because you provide a module position diagram, thats easy to learn or refer to... what would help me, is if there was a diagram that showed the layout positions or framework, what ever the correct terminology is.
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Sorry, I don't understand the question. The layout positions?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Never mind Seth, enough for today, I'm learning fast and will be there soon, 11:30pm here in Odessa, headed to bed, have a good day, see you in the afternoon.

Regards...
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Hehe no probs let us know when you need any more help.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Okay, back on my port project, and a few questions and the ZenGrid
link 217.146.242.76/zen/

site I'm porting www.rentodessatoday.com

1st the logo, this logo png is 2200px width, and no divs have been modified to accomadate it, I know how to move it to the left, but it still creates a horizontal bar in my browser, how can I fix this ? image with the pink block to the left of it

I have been able to adjust almost everything in the theme.css for this port, except for the credit card images at the top left, and the phone image, I created some new divs at the top of index.php

If you look at the nav bar, it really is located 40px lower, to get it in the position I needed, I added
#navWrapper {margin-top: -40px}
to my theme.css, but I'm not sure from a design point of view, if using negative margins and or locations is considered correct, can you provide any advice on this ?

The other thing I would like to mention is, I have been able to modify index.php to hardcode the width of the leftcol, midcol, and rightcol to get the exact width for those items, but it messes up the float... I really think it's fine the way it is, but it would be nice to know how to achieve this, there currently are no modifications, in index.php for these positions

Regards
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Hi there,

Regarding the logo, I think it is probably better to set it as a background image via css, given the size of it. You could move your current header bar to the fullWrap instead and then put the logo on .logoRow {

I don't see a problem with the negative margin you used, though Anthony is better qualified to speak on that, your last question also!
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Seth,
I already have that top logo "Welcome to Odessa" published to logoRow, can I have two if the settings are correct ?
First logo:

.logoRow {
width:100%;
height:95px;
padding:0px;
margin:0px;
background:/*#ff99cc*/ url(../../images/top-header-bg.png) 50% 0% repeat-x;
}
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Seth,
Please disregard the last question
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Cool did you get it sorted :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Yes Anthony, I did...thanks for asking

Whats your take on the negative image/position ? I guess the reason its really used is to prevent modifing the template
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Not sure what you mean by negative image :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Okay then, negative margins ...

RE:

If you look at the nav bar, it really is located 40px lower, to get it in the position I needed, I added
#navWrapper {margin-top: -40px}
to my theme.css, but I'm not sure from a design point of view, if using negative margins and or locations is considered correct, can you provide any advice on this ?
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers