Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Backwards compatibility?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I've been using the Zen Grid framework to great effect and am delighted with the possibilities.

This is almost a general question:
I tried looking at my present working site using an old Mac on OS 10.3 (the wonderful angle poise iMac) which still runs very well in my office.
Unfortunately most of the menus and galleries/prettyboxes etc...didn't work as they should, often they just listed all the photos down the page instead of the slideshow!

It got me wondering if there was a way to make the site backward-compatible where it would disable the fancy stuff and at least keep the general layout and text and navigation working.

I presume old windows systems might react the same, I've only tested it in Vista and the latest windows.

here is my site in progress: www.limprimerie.ch/grid

Any thoughts anyone?

Sean
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
That's the sort of thing that you see if Javascript is disabled/blocked.

Do you have any script-blockers running on that machine. In general, these things are pretty much independant of OS, it is more about the capabilities of the browser. Older browsers struggle sure.

I am not a Mac user, but there is nothing to stop you upgrading to the latest available browser versions is there? Like I said, you should check you have not disabled Javascript loading in the browser though.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hey Sean,

Which browser are you using and what version? If its old then it might just be a legacy for early versions of Safari.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
yes its an old version of safari, I never upgrade that machine as it works fine for what we all need it for.

My concern was more in case other people visit my site with outdated browsers and think the site isn't working.

Thanks for the answers anyway. Short of a disclaimer about having newish software , I'm not sure what to do really.
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Which version specifically?
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Safari 1.3.2

But I'm pretty sure its not the browser at fault here as I got the same result from Firefox, albeit the version 2.xx

I upgraded the system to Mac OS 10.4 , which of course upgraded Javascript (in fact there was a further upgrade once installed)

Using the same browser versions, the site worked fine.
The worry of old systems is still there, even though it might be negligible. (not everyone is conscientious about keeping their computer up to date)
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Sean.
Yeah they are verrrry old versions of the browser. No real way I could support them actually. Im am reluctant to add any support for ie6 and I only do that because of member requests and browser share. Safari1 and firefox2 will have such a small % of visitors ...

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Ok Anthony you put my mind at rest :-)
Thanks
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Cool glad to hear it Sean :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers