Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Zen Grid - pros and cons (?)

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Lovley Sunshine here in Munich, Germany. Is it cold out there in Melbourne?

Since I started to work with templates from Joomlabamboo I got some orders and a few new customers. Nothing special, but the credits belonging to Joomlabamboo ;)

Maybe you know it from my australia page, i rewrote the css code based on the original sketch template. To cut a long story short, I know where I have to put the stuff now and I have a solid code base for creating new pages.

Weeks ago, i taked a look at the new zen grid framework, the framework that should help with creating web pages easier.
But for the first look, it looks more difficult to understand ... but on the other side, the grid framework should be more flexible, isn't it?

So my question to myself is, should i start from the beginning and learn how the grid framework works and will i benefit from it? Or should i leave it as it is now?

Cheers,

Seb
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by basti_online.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Seb,

Yes you are right that it appears more complex but the basic tenets still apply.

Id probably suggest looking at Shopfront or Grid2 to get a feel for the layout and the extra options and then go to the Zen Default theme to use that as a base. If you have any questions drop them in here and we will help.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
It all pro's in my opinion Seb.

Do it and you wont look back, trust me on this.

The template overrides are the real killer for me. You want to move a module position around, easy! cut/paste, activate the override. That's it.

flexibility unlimited!
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
It's sunday, i have time ... I try out the zen grid framework again, now.

Thanks Seth for your motivating words!
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
Good stuff Seb,

Let us know how you get on.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony!

As I reworked the sketch template for my own blog, i started first with a screendesign (photoshop). And then I reworked manually the *.css and *.php files. No surprise at all.

So, with Zen Grid, I have to do the same. The difference is only the structure of the code, isn't it?
The huge difference is, that the webpage itself is divided in rectangles.

If I would like to built my own template (based on the default zen grid), than I have to rework mainly the *.css files?
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
You should only need to touch the theme.css and the appropriate hilite css file (depending on your choice from the template parameters).

The big additional plus point is being able to modify the module placement and page structure without touching the templates core, so future upgrades won't touch your modifications.

If a template override is active, you can radically alter the structure (in every concievable way) without totally fubar-ing the template (if it goes horribly wrong, switch of the override!) in the process of experimenting.

This is how Anthony can turn the same core template (ZGF) into Avanti, Simpleshop, Grid2, etc. The differences are in the overrides (zendefault/layout/) and theme.css (and the images used of course).
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Thanks Seth, that sounds reasonable. So I try out again.
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
Hi,

hope its ok jumping in on this thread as i think my question relates....

to use zen default - it obviously doesn't have a quickstart package which is the only way i have used the bamboo templates before. Do you need to install the standard joomla install first, say, without sample data, and then create articles menu items modules etc etc form there?

thanks

jake
  • jakeholmes1
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 77 posts
jakeholmes1 wrote:
Hi,

hope its ok jumping in on this thread as i think my question relates....

It's not, but you already did now ;)
to use zen default - it obviously doesn't have a quickstart package which is the only way i have used the bamboo templates before. Do you need to install the standard joomla install first, say, without sample data, and then create articles menu items modules etc etc form there?

Zen Grid default is like a empty template, so you can start with this to creat your own. Thats the reason why there is now quickstart needed, it is just a base. Install joomla, than the zen grid framework and zen grid default. Thats your starting point. Sometimes it is easier to rework a existing template, like foliolife.
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
It's not, but you already did now ;)

good point. the help is appreciated though....

I've reworked avanti a few times into various sites and found it very rebrandable. very interested in the default though as i tend to design my sites from scratch and then build it rather than following a template from the beggining, i will see how i get on.

again, the help is much appreciated - i'll mind where i post in the future !! :)
  • jakeholmes1
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 77 posts
Actually the Zen Default template is a part of the core snapshot package and comes setup already with the basic services sample data.

I need to put some more energy into the docs and showcasing the snapshots and might do that once this next theme is out.

Happy to get your feedback on the process though - help us to formulate a good workflow for devs that want to create their own themes.

More docs comign soon :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I think the documentation is just the key, mostly for beginners or for people who only knowing something about grid design from a book cover.

In my opinion, with joomlabamboo and their ideas, there could be a possibility for a great future and also internationally. The people out there waiting for easy to handle web solutions.
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
Thanks Seb - JB is already pretty international but I think you are right. More docs on the way :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
A lot of work I know ... :)

I'm rebuild my webpage now with zen grid:
testseite2.australien-fuer-anfaenger.de/

(original: www.australien-fuer-anfaenger.com)

It's only just to get a feeling for the grid design.
Theres something greater in preparation.
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers