Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Newbie question -- changing color

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I'm confused about changing colors of the Zen Grid template. I've read the forum posts and found the theme.css files in the style folders. The colors in the file have only three digits (e.g., #fff) instead of the customary 6 (#ffffff). What am I missing? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm fairly new to Joomla & css. Thanks.
  • lseeman
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 20 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
lseeman,

When ever your dealing with a color call that has the same six numbers or letters (i.e. #333333, #dddddd) you can 'short-cut' this by using just three numbers or letters. Over the distance of a template CSS file this also can save a bunch of code calls and file space.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Thanks, that helps a lot (climbing slowly up the learning curve)!
Larry
  • lseeman
  • 20 posts
No probs about asking simple or complex questions here. We will try to help you out as much as possible.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Ed,
Thanks for your explanation. I already knew that we could substitute, for example, #ffffff with #fff, but I did not know it could make a real difference in performance (if I understand you correctly).

Always learning...

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
I think reducing file size is the main benefit of using 3digit hex codes.
From memory, javascript does not like 3 digit hex codes unless you are altering and elements css via javascript.
There may be issues with using it inline with html as well but that might be history.
Certainly use it in your CSS files.
If the colors on your site are quite specific, you will need a 6 digit hex code more often than not.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers