Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Template Width?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello,
I was under the impression that using the "960 Grid" idea limited us to a 960-pixel width, as the name implies.

However, in the "General Layout Settings" area of the Zen Grid control panel, there is an option to change the template width.

Is it actually advisable for us to change that width? How do the columns continue to work properly if we alter that to (for example) 980?

I need to understand the ramifications of doing this.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Matthew,

When you adjust the overall width within the theme settings the module positions adjust accordingly. The module width settings are factored by a percentage and not a fixed pixel amount.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Ed,
Thanks for the explanation.

I was thinking that Zen Grid templates had the same restrictions as the 960 Grid System in general (i.e., 960 pixels). It's good to know that the Joomlabamboo team has used 960 Grid, but built extra capabilities onto it.

Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Matthew,

I just checked a ZenGrid Framework site I'm building to verify my statements. In fact, they were correct. I set the template width to 1080 (original setting was 980) and all module positions and main content area got adjusted with the new setting. I was fairly sure this was the case but wanted to check it first hand... just in case!!!

Hope your having or had a fun and safe weekend.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Ed,
Yes, I played around with it as well. It's really nice to be able to have that functionality while also having the benefits of the 960 Grid structure.

If you look at the main page of the 960 Grid concept (www.960.gs) they mention there that the page width is limited to 960, so it's a nice surprise to see we are not limited to this here.

Sincerely,
Matthew (who is fussing over every line of Folio Life CSS this weekend)
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by matthewschenker.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers