Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Zen Grid Roadmap

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi folks,

I wanted to create a discussion for feedback on the Zen Grid Framework to get your opinion of what we should work on and improve on for the core framework.

The release of the new framework is a pretty major milestone for the club and one that we are very proud of. We have some pretty firm ideas for features to implement into the framework and we would love to get your feedback on them as well as any other suggestions. This is of course not a firm roadmap but things that we have on the table for future development.

So here are some of the features we are thinking about:

- Cufon font replacement
- Source Ordered layouts
- More varied layouts with inner and outer sidebars
- Install snapshots from the framework admin area
- Flesh out the css override area so that the user can customise the entire template from there.
- Active tab memory for framework admin so the user is returned to the same page on apply.
- Ajax enabled admin

These are just a few ideas and there will be more to come and since you guys are the users would be great to hear back from you :)

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Anthony,
I just installed the new Zen Grid 2 on my test site to become more familiar with it, and so far it looks really nice. Your improvements to the options and the layout of those options makes the whole framework feel more logical to me.

Including the module positions inside the template is a great idea! It's amazing how something so simple can make a big difference. How many times have I said, "wait, what module position is this...?" and had to go to the template Web site to look it up. Similarly, that was a great idea to get the documentation right inside the template.

As far as suggestions for improvements, before saying too much I want to use Zen Grid 2 a bit more. But I do have a couple of points...

I'd like to see some improvement in the instructions inside the template, both the standing text and the tooltip materials. This is a relatively small thing, and once someone is using the template it may not be necessary.

Back with more later...

Matt
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
I would really appreciate a way to download a document with all of the instructions and screen shots/tool tips included.
I know that I can link to each part and print them separately but having an 'instruction packet" would be very helpful. I have missed some of the links to sections and it took a while to find the answer I was looking for.

It's sort of confusing for me to keep the names and versions of the various templates organized. The new list of the most current versions and what each template is built on is very helpful.

I also need to install and play with the new version before I can comment more on next steps.
  • serena
  • Previous Member
  • 21 posts
Last Edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by serena.
Thanks Serena,

Part of the issues we have had with our process over the last year or two is that the documentation for templates has been in two places - so its been on the demo sites as well as the main site. This causes obvious issues in terms of maintaining and updating the docs. I prefer having the docs in content on the main site so at this stage we wont be offering a separate pdf to download the docs. I know that other clubs offer this but since we put alot of effort into releasing updates and adding new functionality to modules we need to have one central repository for the docs in an attempt to keep them up to date.

Once you get a chance to play with the framework let us know what you think :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
I really like the ideas you put out there for your framework. I've been playing with Folio Life, and it has been my window into Zen Grid 2.

My only issue with Folio Life is that it takes a lot to alter the design scheme to be simpler like a lot of your other themes. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing older themes operate in Zen Grid 2. When you do that, you will really have something amazing -- the elegance of your existing themes with the flexibility of Zen Grid 2!

I'm especially curious about this line in your above post:
- Flesh out the css override area so that the user can customise the entire template from there.

Keep up all the great work!

Matt
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers