Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

960 GS + Joomla! ~ Thanks!

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Just a quick note of thanks for making the first (as far as I know) bare-bones 960GS Joomla! -Ready Template Available.

I had been hoping to create a new site based on the 960gs, but didn't want to spend time on coding it into a Joomla! compatible format with php includes, CSS, etc. I was happy to see the Zen Template here at JB.

So thanks!

Feedback: At some point, I'd love to see a more intuitive way for (new) grid users to operate and understand the template/grid system (although I understand there is a balance between semantics and modularity).

That said, I'm quite happy with the system you implemented for the Zen Template - particularly in terms of CSS.

- HC
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hey thanks Andrew - its proving to be a huge boon for us in terms of speeding up template development here as well.

What sort of changes would you implement in terms of semantics?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hello Anthony,

re: Semantics

Nothing too drastic - just some additional documentation up front (sales) on what the grid system is, how it works, etc. The 960gs site is great for info, but still a bit obtuse for new 'gridders'.

Thanks,
AJH
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hey Andrew,

Yes I plan on developing a full doc set for Zen Grid but the xmas period has kind of slowed me down. Should be more this month for sure.

Thanks for your feedback,

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony and JB,

Thought I'd share what we did with the Zen Grid template.

Our new business site for Renewable Energy and Green Business:

CartaNova Design & Consulting

Thanks!

- Andrew H.
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Lovely Andrew. The site has a very calming and pleasing feel to it :)

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Andrew,
Wow, your site is terrific! Nice job.

Like you, I'm a fan of the 960 Grid structure, and very happy with the way the Joomlabamboo team has made it into a Joomla resource. I've been working on my own Web site, and in the process being a pest here at Joomlabamboo with all my questions.

Your work is inspiring me in some design areas. Also, I'm very much in favor of green energy and changes in the way we all conduct ourselves environmentally, so your site is very welcomed.

I agree with you about the great way that Joomlabamboo has implemented the 960 Grid idea. I've mucked around in all the files that make up this theme structure, and all of it feels quite intuitive, especially with the implementation of Zen Grid 2.

Question: did you use the "Blank" or "Default" template, or did you edit one of the others?

Thanks for sharing,
Matt
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Matt and Jason, Thanks very much!
Question: did you use the "Blank" or "Default" template, or did you edit one of the others?

We actually ended up using the 'container' layout. This was advantageous to having the lower portion of the top-background image fade into a general background color (dark green).

The other benefit was that using 'container' made it a little easier to specify and test how I wanted the transparent layer in grid1 to behave.
.grid1Row .containerBG {
background:url("images/transbg.png") repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
border-bottom:1px solid #DDDDDD;
height:348px;
}

By using a traditional transparent PNG (instead of a CSS3 RGB value for transparency), we were able to place a custom module at the appropriate module position, and then enable/disable it as we needed to create a trans effect on some pages, but not others.

ZenGrid and the 960GS made this particularly simple - it was joy to work with. :)
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers