Support Forum

• Page:

Please keep your Joomla versions up to date!

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

The newest security release of Joomla is version 1.5.14 for those of you who may not know.
Get it here:
http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5244-joomla-1514-released.html
This link will provide you with access to Joomla 1.5.14 Full Install as well as patch files if you are coming from a previous release of Joomla.
Think upgrading is a hassle? Think it's too time consuming?
I hear a lot of the posters upset because I encourage them to upgrade their sites to the "newest" version of Joomla.
Too much work they say. Well, an hour of upgrading, depending on the number of sites can save you hundreds of hours in rebuilding a site. Here's a small snippet from the article:
How could I be hacked? The site wasn’t even live and it was unlike any other hack I had ever seen. My support technician razed me about upgrades. Upgrades? “Who has time for those?” I complained. I have over 100 Joomla! sites, 20 of which are running Joomla! 1.5 and I’m supposed to keep them all running the latest version? The answer is simple: “Yes”.

Don't believe me? Read this:
http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/698-strange-joomla-behavior-hackers-and-patching.html
And:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=267&t=117767
;)
  • Stefanie
  • Previous Member
  • 12 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Welcome Stefanie.

Thanks for the good advice.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Always happy to help.
New to this site so let me know if I do anything wrong.
;)
  • Stefanie
  • Previous Member
  • 12 posts
:) You're off to a great start so don't let me slow you down.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hi Stefanie,

I agree with ya 110% ;)

It is so important to keep up to date, the net is moving so fast, you would be crazy not to have a update schedule in place for Joomla, comps, mods and plugs.

Thanks for taking some of your time to post some links :laugh:

Cheers
Craig
  • Craig
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 2G rocks
  • 418 posts
Ok I'm new to updating the Joomla version as I'm working on my first joomla sites.

Please be patient with me as a database noob.

I don't know how best to upgrade from 1.5.14 to 1.5.15

I've downloaded the upgrade patch but don't know what to do now.
I thought I would use the update manager component which I've just installed. However on launcing it I get this message on step 1:

Download Failed: Remote Server connection failed: fopen(jsitepoint.com/update/packages/joomla/update.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found; Using Proxy: No(42)

errmmm I'm lost :S

Sean
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hey Sean,

It's actually even simpler than that now. You can use the Joomla updater component which handles all of the update elements for you.

So if you use it you will be going from 1.5 .14 to 1.5 .18 in a matter of seconds.

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/core-enhancements/installers/9332

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony,

But that's how I got the error message above.
I've installed the update manager, it launches ok , then when I click on the last line

So lets continue our travels and download the update file >>>

I get the message pasted in my question above.
I have left all the parameters as they were.

any ideas?

The servers where the site is being worked on has this config:
VERSION DE PHP: 5.2.13:
VERSION DE PERL: 5.010000
VERSION DE MYSQL: Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 5.1

I've read the bits about problems on the dens page , but still can't figure what I can try...
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Sean.
Sean,

I sent you an email this morning with my return address. I believe that I might have a solution for you. I'll be back at my computer later this PM and will reply to your email if you sent one.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
This is what I found :

Download Failed PDF Print E-mail
Joomla! 1.5 Products - Update Manager for Joomla!
Written by Sam Moffatt
Friday, 11 September 2009 10:19

If you have issues downloading the update files you might get the following message:

Download failed: Remote Server connection failed:fopen(jsitepoint.com/update/packages/joomla/update.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found; Using Proxy: No(42).

You might be seeing this error for a few reason:

* You're running PHP4
* Your PHP instance doesn't have a HTTP wrapper

To fix the first one, upgrade to PHP5 - the update manager requires PHP5 to operate regardless. Joomla! 1.6 will require PHP5 and PHP4 is no longer supported at all by PHP, so now is a great time to switch to PHP5. For the second one, presuming you're running on PHP5, you can use the option of cURL. cURL is a library in PHP that may not be available in all cases, but if you check out your PHP Information page (Under Help -> System Information) and see cURL there (use your browsers find tool to help). To set the update manager to use cURL, on the first page select "Parameters" in the top right corner and then under the downloader, set to cURL instead of fopen.

If you need a proxy server to get to the internet to download files then you can set this here as well.

So I tried the cURL thing and got this :
Warning: curl_setopt() [function.curl-setopt]: CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when in safe_mode or an open_basedir is set in /home/www/fc7a1b3e3024690c325db82f68f53eb2/web/grid/administrator/components/com_jupdateman/libraries/pasamio/downloader/adapters/curl.php on line 46

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/www/fc7a1b3e3024690c325db82f68f53eb2/web/grid/administrator/components/com_jupdateman/libraries/joomla/filesystem/stream.php on line 166

Warning: fopen(ftp://[email protected]:21/web/grid//tmp/jupgrader.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/www/fc7a1b3e3024690c325db82f68f53eb2/web/grid/administrator/components/com_jupdateman/libraries/joomla/filesystem/stream.php on line 166

Download Failed: Local output opening failed: fopen(ftp://[email protected]:21/web/grid//tmp/jupgrader.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found(43)

Don't you just love error messages :blink:

Sean

PS on my server I found this info
"curl
cURL support enabled
cURL Information libcurl/7.18.2 OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.2.3.3 libidn/1.8 libssh2/0.18"
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
OK after some help from Ed, I have found out that the reason is because my hosting service has not set:

allow_url_fopen to On in your php.ini

anyone care to tell me how and if I can do this? I have access via the admin interface to some action on php.
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Right , no need to respond as Ed very kindly talked me through a solution.

In case anyone reads this with a similar problem here is what was needed.

In my root Joomla folder I didn't have a php.ini file, instead I had to use the htaccess.txt file which was there

I added the 2 lines of code
php_flag allow_url_fopen On
php_flag allow_url_include On

then renamed the file .htaccess

Logging back into my joomla admin, I then set (in global config) Use Apache mod_rewrite to Yes.

I was then able to use the Joomla updater and it worked perfectly and very quickly.

I can't thank Ed enough for his time and trouble.

Cheers
Sean
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Sean,

Glad everything is working smoothly now. You have a unique hosting issue that just needed a little TLC. Oh, thanks for the beer... quite tasty :laugh:

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Thanks Ed - great to get to the bottom of this.

Magic Updater used to generate the curl error for you so not sure why this doesnt happen with jupdater.

Anyway its all sorted :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
But as I understand it, having allow_url_fopen and allow_url_includes set to = On is a major security threat. I just got hacked and have been researching this stuff, and just changed it in my php.ini file. My site seems to be working fine. However, I haven't updated since I changed it (today), so I don't know if it is going to work or not. In any case, I would like to hear what you guys have to say about this topic. I think if it fails, I will just change it for the duration of the update and then switch it back.
  • Tyler Cole
  • Previous Member
  • 26 posts
Tyler,
I think if it fails, I will just change it for the duration of the update and then switch it back.

This would be my recommendation based on the security issue.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Would you recommend this turning on, only for updating, to everyone?

Sean
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Sean,

I'm not an expert on Joomla security but if turning something 'on' just for an update would be just one recommendation. The key is making sure it gets turned 'off' when the update is completed. This issue seems to be server specific so it kind of muddies the water a little making a global recommendation.

Sean, the research and efforts you did for your set-up was a big help for a lot of folks and I would like to thank you on behalf of all for this. This is how we all get smarter...

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Ed,

The thanks all goes to you for answering my questions in real time while watching the world cup B)

But glad all this can help others, I find this forum and the help we all get very quickly invaluable, especially for thickoes like me.

Sean
  • Sean
  • 12 Month basic
  • 207 posts
  • 1 Thanks
What's 'the world cup'??

:lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback Sean.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers