Support Forum

• Page:

Forum search useless

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Every time I come to the support forum to try to track down the answer to a problem I'm running into the same thing. 'There is a question, an answer then another question and before the problem is solved, the admin asks for a private message with log-in information.

Presumably the admin then solves the problem for that person and leaves the rest of us dangling with another incomplete thread in the forum.
  • mathorn
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi there,

I appreciate the frustration of an incomplete thread

The vast majority of issues are solved here on the forum if we didn't our ticket system would explode

We do try and post back solutions but sometimes it just isn't possible

Is there anything we can help you with regarding your sites?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

It is ironic that you should be the one to reply to this since it was finding three instances in a row where my search appeared like it was going to end up in a solution and instead it ended up with you taking the user's question to a PM or otherwise off-forum solution.

I'm simply trying to figure out how to adjust the menu delay for the dropdowns in the main menu of Grid3 template today, but this is not the first time I've searched the Joomla Bamboo forums for a solution and haven't found a completed solution thread. You guys, and every forum administrator continually tell people to search the forums before posting but if every search turns up a thread that dead ends after a Moderator takes the poster off the forum to complete the solution . . .
  • mathorn
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I appreciate your frustration here.

There are a couple of factors.

1. The Kunena forum search is notoriously inadequate for larger forums. Ive had the same issue when trying to track down a thread that I know answers the issue. We are looking at alternatives but it's a decision we want to get right before we make the change.

2. In a lot of instances we need to see the user setup in order to diagnose an issue and for that we recommend people use the ticket system to keep that login data confidential. There are soem instances where the answer gets posted back but on the whole you are right that the solution is often kept in the ticket system.

We try to keep as much discussion and problem solving out here in public but on a lot of occasions we have neglected the follow up to the forum when we took it to the ticket system. This post is a good idea / reminder for us to do this so thanks for the prompt.

Is there a specific issue that you are looking at or thread that we can help you with?

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
In regards to your ticket Im looking at that one now :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers