Support Forum

• Page:

Revisit old templates and consider newer ways to replicate

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I just found "Simple Shop - Snow white ecommerce" from about 18 months ago now.

I had the thought "I wonder whether there's a newer template that could easily do this, but offer some advantages?" - More positions, more K2 integration, color variations, something.

Anyway, I was thinking that it would actually be more functional for everyone to retire templates at some age, or at least mark them as deprecated. For example, something like "If we wanted to build Simple Shop today, we'd start with X (Newstream?), and just turn off the Captify module" - It's Zen, it has a bunch of color variations, more module positions, etc. I think it would actually be a constructive challenge to the crew to use the newest templates as replacements for the old.

Interested to see what everyone thinks...

Update: Well, as I was shopping for a new template, I found almost exactly what I'd described..."Zen Simple Shop - Tienda Joomla Template "...coincidence?...maybe not.

Best,
K
  • kenlyle
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 171 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 5 months ago by kenlyle.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
That is a good idea Ken although most of the templates are on the list to get converted to the framework. In fact Simple Shop already has been.

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/template-news/simpleshop-gets-a-revamp

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Yeah, I wonder what's the best use of your time and the best value for the members?

I would think that pushing the framework, rather than recasting the past, is the way to go. That and fixing the doc/interface/function issues in Captify/K2 and other modules to totally pimp them out.

Thanks,
K
  • kenlyle
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 171 posts
Yeah I guess the answer is all of the above.

Recent growth in the club has meant that some of the todo has not been addressed as fast as I would like. Im in the process of looking for the right person to join the team so the backlog can be cleared.

As I said in a ticket recently the updated captify is coming this week and is almost ready. I released the update to Microblog yesterday.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks for answering. I know you guys work hard, and appreciate it.

Best,
K
  • kenlyle
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 171 posts
Cheers Ken - appreciate it.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers