Support Forum

• Page:

Advice for creating an original music site

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hey all,

I'm looking for recommendations for templates - Joomlabamboo if possible, but if not then other options are fine - for creating an original music site. I've spent a bit of time messing around with another site I'm working on and would like, in this case, to find something quick and easy just to get my original stuff online. I'm hoping to find a template that's pretty much a matter of uploading files, picking a few colors and choosing a few fonts, and it's done.

I'd appreciate any ideas, and no worries about having to go into much detail. If you've got a suggestion just post the name and I'll go check it out.

Thanks again,

Bob Camp
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Bob

How many music files are you working with and how much total file size do they take up?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hey Paul, thanks for responding. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you (life intrudes).

I'd need to upload about 35 files, but that number would increase fairly soon. It would likely stay below fifty for a couple of years.

The total is about 350MB for now, probably jumping to 400MB in the near future. And, as with the files, would likely stay below 500MB for quite a while.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Hi Robert,

Most templates wont include specific functionality for dealing with music files. The template is better viewed as the design layer.

Depending on what you needed i would use a theme that you liked - Focus2, Venture or Rasa2 perhaps.

And then use a plugin to play your files - if they are on Soundcloud this looks ok:

extensions.joomla.org/extension/soundcloud-content

Although I haven't used it before.

Or perhaps something like this:
extensions.joomla.org/extension/pro-magic-audio-player

So you could use that in your content item or if it was just about making it available to download you could use something like akeeba release system that has an automated way of displaying files from a folder.

Hope that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony,

I'll look into all of that soon. One more question. I remember someone at one time suggesting the possibility of putting the music files on Youtube and then embedding (is that correct?) them on the site. Do you know anything about this, and do any templates work better if you're doing that kind of thing?

Thanks again,

Bob Camp
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Hi Bob,
That would be the same thing really - just embedding the clip via the iframe that Youtube generates. So adding this to content or K2 items would be the only option.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers