Support Forum

• Page:

Duplicate Content

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I just ran one of my clients sites through seomoz pro campaign, and got back a duplicate content issue. I have already done a 301 on the www, so I know that is not the problem, any other good resources around to remove duplicate content issues on joomla, kathysjewelryocala.com/ (this is epicure template) thanks, Carin
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
This isn't related to the template, more of a standard joomla/seo question.

If you do a google site search on
site:www.kathysjewelryocala.com/
and
site:kathysjewelryocala.com/

you will see it has pages cached from both.

www.kathysjewelryocala.com/index.php/40-frontpage-slideshow/82-wedding-bands-and-more

You can blanket 301 all pages using
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.kathysjewelryocala.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://kathysjewelryocala.com/$1 [R=301,L]

You could try looking for a canonical url plugin
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thank you for that code, I had this and I guess its not correct, even though it was redirecting if I typed in the www.kathysjewelry.com (I think I must have added the redirect after I built the site and it was already all indexed.
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.kathysjewelryocala.com$
RewriteRule ^/?$ "http\:\/\/kathysjewelryocala.com" [R=301,L]
Do you think it would help for the indexed pages if I make a correction in google webmasters account?
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
In my experience alot of this comes down to multiple menu items pointing to the same content or the url parameters gettign referenced twice or more.

In the google webmaster tool there are some references and some tools for removing any url params from the index. I'd look at that area to get a sense of what is needed to be done.

Thanks Carin.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony, I didn't even know what url parameter was, so when I looked it up I found this which references the webmasters too, it seems the easier solution is rel tag. I guess I need a plugin which will allow me to add code to the header of individual pages or the canonical url plugin.
from google:
If your site publishes content that can be reached via multiple URLs, you can gain more control over how your URLs appear in search results by specifying a canonical (preferred) version of the URL. Using the parameter handling tool is one way to do this, but you can also give Google additional information by adding the rel="canonical" element to the HTML source of your preferred URL. (To use rel="canonical", you'll need to be able to edit your pages' source code.) Use which option works best for you; it's fine to use both if you want to be very thorough.

Thank you all for your input on this!
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
hi
inside Joomla 2.5 there is menu type called Menu Item Alias. This means, you can have 1 regular menu item and unlimited Menu Item Aliases to original menu. This will prevent Google from reading duplicate content.

So result is that you will have only 1 page with 1 menu ItemID linked from various places.
  • Zuzuzu
  • 1925 posts
  • 107 Thanks
That is a good tip, thanks Zuzuzu!
  • handsun
  • 12 Month basic
  • 511 posts
Sure, no problem.
  • Zuzuzu
  • 1925 posts
  • 107 Thanks
Hi,
Zuzu you are right. It solves the situation when the content is linked to several menu items (eg Contact component). But Joomla generates more then one URL when you use tags or slideshow module or at the situations I dont understand really :-). It is a huge problem of Joomla. Webmasters tools is the right tool to check it.
In my opinion only use of dedicated SEO component can solve the problem of duplicate URLs.
On my site with ca 1000 K2 items I've had over 20 000 duplicate content in Webmaster tools. Some of my pages had more then 40 URLs! After install of SEO tool (with canonical URL tool option) I have now only 400 duplicates (most of the duplicates are "print" pages). It is lot of work to organize all the content and find duplicates even with SEO tool.
regards Tomek
  • witraze
  • 12 Month basic
  • 346 posts
  • 20 Thanks
Hi Tomek,

Thanks for your input +1 k

What SEO component do you use?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul
I am using sh404SEF.

It has some disadvantages also. It creates cannonical URL by deafult. This is causing some additional work. To give example: when I add new K2 item and display it also in front page slideshow (in Zentools module - as a promotion of the new content) sh404SEF add itemid that displays all front page modules with that K2item. The modules are visible even if I display the item from the menu item not the slideshow. So I had to change the cannonical URL manually (there is such an option in sh404SEF so it is relatively easy but time consuming) to obtain the proper view with modules that should be displayed.

thanks for 1K - I very happy it is my first one ever :-)

regards Tomek
  • witraze
  • 12 Month basic
  • 346 posts
  • 20 Thanks
Hi Toemk

:)

Thanks for the handy information

Regards
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers