Support Forum

• Page:

Social Network / Multi-User Customizable Blog...?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I’ve got to pick the brains of some experience folks if that’s ok…

I’ve been looking at JomSocial for some time now and it seems like it might be an ok system, but every time I read through their stuff, I get more and more concerned that this isn’t exactly what I’m looking for.

I’m wondering if any of you kind people might have had an opportunity to see JomSocial, or any other Joomla components that offer similar features. Basically, do you have any recommendations for me?

I’m looking for what would amount to a more robust version of a Ning type platform that allows for customizable multi-user blogging, walls and comments, PMs, posting pictures and video, etc., but again, JomSocial is just making me nervous.

Any insight you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx a bunch,
Nerf-
  • Nerfherder
  • Previous Member
  • 62 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nerf-,

Your concerns with JomSocial is a solid one... I have and am using JomSocial on a couple of sites and where it is doing what I need/want, it is feature limited in the scope you mentioned. Not quite sure what direction this application will travel towards so it's hard for me to say... buy it, you'll like it!

The one Joomla app that holds the most promise for most (if not all) of your needs is Joomunity (extensions.joomla.org/extensions/communities-a-groupware/communities/6280) but it is buggy as all get out. I've worked behind this app in the past and really saw great potential but could not get past the bugs and lack of improvements.

Community Builder has most of what your asking for but I've never been able to get my hands around this app. A lot of folk look at this program as a religion but for me, I could never get to the alter with it. Partly due to it's poor (in my option) look and feel.

I have never ventured towards Ning but if you talk to Fotis at Joomlaworks.gr, he preaches from this pulpit. For me, Ning is a little bit of an 'overkill' for my current (and client) needs. It has everything you mentioned and more so it just might be your choice over the above mentioned native Joomla applications.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Ed, and thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

We have a Ning network now with about 1000 members, and it's working ok. Ning has two basic problems that are forcing us to migrate away from it. The first is that you don't really own your information. They have very limited facilities for exporting content and user profiles, so to continue to use it would lock us in forever. The other BIG problem is it's inherent lack of flexibility as it relates to user security and grouping.

We're looking to monetize on data on this site, and Ning offers no real way to do this. You can either grant a user access to your network or not. You don't really have the ability to have pay areas of your site, where only those members have access.

I completely agree with your assessments of Community Builder and Joomunity. I tried Joomunity some time ago and was quite impressed, but had to get if off my server within an hour of installing it as I could get nothing to act right, but it looked great!

As a user of JomSocial, I'd love to ask you a question or two, if you wouldn't mind:

The first is, I understand the social side of it. Where I lose them is how MyBlog and Jcomment are integrated. Can you have multi-user blogging where people can blog in their own space and have the ability to make minor customizations to that space, like header changes and things of that nature?

Also, does each user have a separate place where their uploaded assets are stored? When reviewing JomSocial's sales pitch, it seems that everything is put in the same place. That makes me a little nervous.

On another note: This K2 thing'a'ma'jigger that JoomlaBamboo is building their stuff in seems REALLY powerful. It seems to have all the parts and peaces one would need to build an awesome, really good looking social network, and I'd bet that someone who knew what they were doing with it could build an AWESOME social component in no time, and make an absolute killing with it... IF they were so inclined. :woohoo: (This is my hint to JoomlaBamboo of course.)

...but I digress...

Again, thank you Ed, for taking the time to advise me here. I really do appreciate it!

Nerf-
  • Nerfherder
  • Previous Member
  • 62 posts
Nerf-

I need to head out to a 'Budget' meeting :X in a little bit but wanted to quickly respond and say, I'll respond later to your questions, comments regarding JomSocial, blogging and K2...

Wish me luck!
Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Ed

The fingers and toes are crossed... all pennies are accounted for and face up... may the force be with you?

Good Luck!
Nerf- ;)
  • Nerfherder
  • Previous Member
  • 62 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers