Support Forum

• Page:

Website-Performance: how to optimize?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello everybody

I noticed that my websites are getting slower and slower (on the same server there are other websites and especially the older are the faster). My latest website (testserver.dataflow.ch/staehli-goldschmied.ch/v03/) takes 8 seconds until it is displayed. There are many images and also one video, but I guess that Joomla, the T3 framework and also other plugins or the template makes the bigger loading time.

www.webpagetest.org/result/131126_BW_DXG/

What do you think? Do you have any ideas how to optimize the performance?

Thanks a lot & cu
Joe
  • Joe
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 42 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Joe,

From the look of the results you have development mode enabled so each time you load the page the less files are getting compiled to css before the page can load.

In the template settings turn off development mode, compile less to css then enable css compression to cut down on about 40 requests.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe
Hey Rob, indeed without the development mode the site is much faster :-) thanks a lot
Regards
Joe
  • Joe
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the update :)

Just as a note

Development mode also doesn't work in IE8 & IE9 due to a stupid file number limitation in those versions

Only so many css files can be rendered so it breaks sites

IE10 - IE11 that limitation is removed

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe
I have also found that some ISPs have additional tools that can significantly improve page load - usually through some forms of caching. (this can muddle up development though, so use with discretion, or do the development work in a sandbox.)
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
When a site is live you can add the attached rules to the bottom of your .htaccess file to add leverage browser caching (amongst other things) which drastically improves the load time of a second page view.
Attachments:
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: blueshift, Joe

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers