Support Forum

• Page:

Building a Blog for JB Responsive

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have designed a site using JBRepsonsive 1.5

url: www.domerealty.ca

The owner would like a blog page. Functionality for site owner site visitors to:
1. user can reply to and add new comments.
2. owner can manage (control) user comments
3. owner/user can upload files and external links

I would like to get an extension and or a plug-in to add this functionality.
What do you suggest based on the fact that this site uses JBResponsive 1.5?

Myra (Egli Design, Yukon Territory, Canada) :P :P
  • MyraEgli
  • 12 Month basic
  • 8 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Myra,

Responsive is actually available for J3 now and I'm not entirely certain what is the best option for J1.5 for blogging.

I would perhaps look at:

- K2
- Easy blog from Stack Ideas
- and if all else fails adding Disqus commenting manually to the blog. Joomlaworks have an Disqus plugin but I found it easier just to add the code manually.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I have had quite a bit of success building blog functionality with Zen Tools and front end content creation. (For images I use SigPRO, which adds a lot of functionality.) I've even done this with a 1.5 site, but only once - and it's easier in J3, where I do this routinely; I also use RSS to bring Tumblr blogs into a blog page... user never has to log into the web site, they can blog from their iPad.

(Personally, my goal is to keep clients as far away from the back end of the site as possible.)

Zen Tools, imo, is the most important extension available in the joomlaverse.
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Hi Blueshift :)

Thanks for lovely input

Interesting way of working - do clients still find the admin too tricky in J3?

With using an ipad you are only using responsive templates / extensions going forward?

- just wondered if you have any thoughts for future templates designs / extension support ?

We are trying to get members / non members feedback here on future template / extension support going forward

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/template-news/30-responsive-joomla-templates

Cheers and thanks again

Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Clients are mostly terrified of the admin panel....there's just too much there. Mostly, they are interested in content creation only, so I can set up various registered menu items such as 'create a blog item, create a news item' and use Zen Tools category or tag filtering to deliver content to the front page.

Since people are hitting websites with mobile devices at an increasing rate, I feel responsive is the way forward for almost all of my business. Right now, I think Tumblr's tablet content creator interface is exquisitely user-friendly so I have three clients doing it (and it got two accounts away from squarespace, which doesn't sync to Tumbr). I would love to see Joomla continue to develop front end editing/content creating features in much the same fashion. (J3 front end editing on core content is actually quite useful...but I worry about the SEO consequences of not using a menu, so the challenge might be to develop a background invisible menu generator that tracks the new content in an SEF fashion.

As to the admin panel itself, if it were more contextual, with some drag and drop capability, it might be more useful. For instance, when I create an article, I should also see some way of creating and organizing the navigation, and patching in sidebar modules, all without switching to a new window -- this alone would solve my biggest difficulty with the Joomla admin environment. It should anticipate what needs to be done and put it all right there in front of the user.
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by blueshift.
Thanks - always good to know what folks think

If you get time to add any input to that blog link that would be great also

Cheers and thanks again

Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers