Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Updating Support Software Procedure [SOLVED]

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi folks,

Can someone tell me (or point me to the documentation, preferably) how to:

1) Check the version of my templates' support software (e.g. K2, all the Zen stuff).

2) Update procedures for each?

I've looked around, but can't seem to find anything. I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, tho. :)

Cheers and thanks,

Bill
  • notsteve
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 119 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Last Edit: 10 years 4 months ago by notsteve.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Bill,

1. Actually it is quite simple: we take Joomla as a central point and other extensions like templates, components have to follow it. For example if your template supports Joomla 3 and your K2 supports Joomla 3 => your template should work with your K2, if not? it could be a bug, in that case please let us know so we can check it for you.

2. For template: you can make a backup of your website (files + database), then install the newer version on top of it.

For K2: getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first/162298-how-do-I-update-K2-on-a-joomla-site

The key point in updating your software is to always create a backup so that we can go back if things go wrong.

If you have any issues with your updating, please let us know.

Regards,
  • vietvu
  • 12 Month basic
  • 605 posts
  • 51 Thanks
Thank you, Vietvu, for your quick reply.

In the message you referenced, when William says, "use the joomla component installer," does he mean "Extension Manager: Install"?

What about the other software such as the Zen Tools software? Is there any other software I need to check and update?

Thank you,

Bill
  • notsteve
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 119 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Bill,

With components, plugins, modules and template they have version numbers

You can check versions number by going to

extensions tab > extension manager > manage

You can filter by using filter TYPE and filtering for module, plugin etc

It pays to use as fewer extensions as possible so any you don't use = delete as you don't have to think about updating them :)

yes for "Extension Manager: Install"

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Understood. I think we're miscommunicating, though. I only have the default QuickInstall installation. I haven't added anything. My question is which modules should I be checking for newer versions? For example, I can see there are newer versions of K2, Zen Tools and Zen Grid. (Is "Unified" what's installed by default in Highline QuickStart?)

Thank you kindly,

Bill
  • notsteve
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 119 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Zengrid framework (zgfv2) that you are using is the unified version for the template

Zentools is updated quite often as its one of most popular extensions and contains a lot of functionality

I'd suggest checking the template download page and compare with your versions in the quickstart

With seeing the template version (finding the version number as described above) you can then compare with the changelog ( these are on every template download page)

docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-templates/highline-changelog

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
i updated K2 and both zen packages as you instructed. worked great, and my iphone display issue is gone. thanks!
  • notsteve
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 119 posts
  • 2 Thanks
No problem

good luck with the site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers