Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

templates & databases

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi this may seem like ( more) stupid questions but I am getting there honest!! lol
I understand you can load more than one template onto your site via the admin section, but do they all need seperate databases? I would assume they do, but need to be sure.
The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to have a main site together with examples in a sub folder/directory. My hosting company only supplies one database, but I can purchase more if needed. So do I need an individual databases for each site/template I install?
I also need to know if this is possible, and if there are any pitfalls to watch out for.
I have done this using HTML but obviously I dont yet know the capabilities of Joomla.
Also when any template updates come out, is it better to just use the seperate components once its installed and working on your site to update it rather than the quickstart packages?
I'm thinking of New Media that has a few improvements and I dont want to install the whole thing again unless its nesscessary.
many thanks
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Glenn,

Basically Joomla requires a database to work as you know. It would be possible to run multiple joomla sites from one database but it is probably more complex than necessary and would kind of put all of your eggs in one basket. So best to have a single database for each single Joomla installation.

You can load as many templates as you need into your joomla site. The template is like a layer that sits above the content on your site. The database then tells the template what information needs to be displayed on the site and the template determines where it is output.

So for each subdomain installation you will need to have a separate Joomla installation loaded with its own version of the template. Depending on your needs it may not be necessary to create a new installation in a subdomain - sometimes you can create the feel of a subdomain just by using an SEF component. But that is entirely dependant on your need.

If the template is updated then there is no need to use the quickstart - you can just upload the new template. Im working on a better way for users to upgrade without losing all of the changes they have made to the template.

Thanks for the questions :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
many thanks for the prompt reply Anthony. I really appreciate all your help and the great templates you produce. It makes a nice change in this day and age to find someone that values and provides great service and support. The update util will be welcome by loads of people I'm sure.
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
No problem Glenn :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony, I had a new database created by my web company yesterday and uploaded a different template ( New Media) using the unzip template files as opposed to the quickstart packages.
Firstly the database they created was named the same as the original which to be honest confused me.
When I queried this I was told ' Within Joomla you shouldn't need a separate database for each template? Each copy of Joomla stores all information in a single DB. The database is configured when you install it. If you are installing a second copy of Joomla ensure you specify the database on the new server when you install it. '

Is this normal? I mean I know I can install the database name when I use your quickstart packages, (even tho the name will still be the same as the original :/) but can I do the same using the template files alone? with it being the same name surly it will use the same data .. how ca it differenciate or is the data uploaded within the template structure?
Also if I use your quickstart package for new media, will it over write the original working template I have there ( Top shop)
If you look at the site now you can see a mix of new media and someof thre top shop stuff..
www.apexcomputersystems.co.uk
many thanks
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Glenn,

You actually dont need a separate database for each template. In order to install a new template onto your site you need to just use the Joomla installer in the admin area.

This will load the necessary template files onto your server then when you make the template the default template Joomla will display the existing content but with the new theme overlayed.

If you want to create an entirely new site with new content in a new folder or at a new url then you need to use a new database.

So the quickstart packages are completely new installations of Joomla and its not possible to use them on an existing site. So if you are going from Top Shop to Canvas then you need to make the adjustments manually.

Hope that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony I actually did that but i'm still getting the mixed content as you can see if you visit the link previously supplied. Is there a config file I can edit with regard to telling the new template which database to use? or how do I get rid of the old 'Top shop' content with out using the full quick install package?
If it isnt possible I'll just go down the 'quick install package' for simplicity ..
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Glenn. You set the database in the configuration.pup file in the site root. You may be able to change the database file in the site confit in the j bqckend but I haven't ever done that. I find it easier to deal with the configuration file.

Cheers anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony I finished installing your quickstart package for ease to be honest, all looks ok except for right at the bottom there seems to be an extra menu and its pushing the bottom pieces out .. (apexcomputersystems.co.uk) not critical but I would like to know what causes it, for future reference.
Also I understand in earlier versions of Joomla there used to be a feature that allowed you to see where the sections/catagories etc were positioned, evidently it was found by using site, then preview then preview inline with positions. Is anything like that availabale in the current build? seem a useful thing to have if your new to joomla and its layouts etc...
many thanks
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi this basically realates to my last post and regards module positions.
I found a way to display the module positions ( rather than printing the sheets !) using one of your answers to a previous post, (www.mysite.com/index.php?tp=1) and I think the guy was basically asking the same question as me. How do you identify how the modules relate to sections catagories/content etc.
MY problem is this, i know where the modules positions are but dont know how to identify them in the administrators area. For instance, in 'new media' where would I find user1, user2 etc or any other module sections, short of scouring the whole site setup ( I come across a few items regarding my previous post.. but havent found where the 'rogue' menu comes from yet)
If Id set this up from an empty site it may have been easier, but I opted to add or change the modules for speed, wrong! lol sadly this is still a steep learning curve for me ! lol
there must be a simple way of relating modules to included content ..
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Glenn Shaw wrote:
Hi this basically realates to my last post and regards module positions.
I found a way to display the module positions ( rather than printing the sheets !) using one of your answers to a previous post, (www.mysite.com/index.php?tp=1) and I think the guy was basically asking the same question as me. How do you identify how the modules relate to sections catagories/content etc.
MY problem is this, i know where the modules positions are but dont know how to identify them in the administrators area. For instance, in 'new media' where would I find user1, user2 etc or any other module sections, short of scouring the whole site setup ( I come across a few items regarding my previous post.. but havent found where the 'rogue' menu comes from yet)
If Id set this up from an empty site it may have been easier, but I opted to add or change the modules for speed, wrong! lol sadly this is still a steep learning curve for me ! lol
there must be a simple way of relating modules to included content ..
glenn

appologies Anthony, I think Ive found what I was looking for eventually .. always trying to run before I can walk .. I'll be expertly qualified to write you a 'dummies' guide when Ive cracked this lot lol
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Be happy to read that one Glenn :)

Let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers